Review: Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition (PS4)
Awakened by the End of Days, Death, the most feared of the legendary Four Horsemen, embarks upon a quest to restore mankind, and redeem his brother’s name.
- Decent graphics.
- Four save slots.
- Four difficulties: Easy, Normal, Apocalyptic and Deathinitive.
- Action brawler RPG game play.
- Opening tutorial section with ongoing support.
- Fully voiced cast for each character.
- Dungeons are plentiful and offer puzzles and complex platforming whilst facing off against hordes of enemies and bosses.
- Earn exp and level up to earn points to put into the massive upgrade tree which in turn unlocks new abilities, Powers and buffs.
- Solid fighting mechanic. Combo system coupled with dodge abilities plus you have primary and secondary weapons that you can hot swap between mid combo.
- Enemies can drop loot and money.
- Auto pick up loot function.
- Choose questions in dialogue conversations.
- You get a recap of the story when you load your save.
- Fast travel available.
- Despair: Your horse that you can call on to aid in travelling. You can still attack when mounted and you do have agallop button.
- Dust: Your bird that when called upon will show you the way in dungeons.
- Optional side quests.
- Reaper form: Transform into a reaper and have stronger attacks, Take more damage. Attack and kill enemies to keep your form going.
- Find secret rooms, shortcuts and hidden chests.
- Handy lock on button to aid fighting.
- Possessed gear: Once found you can sacrifice lower gear to upgrade the possessed weapons.
- New game plus option.
- Crucible is a wave based survival mode that adds hours of replay ability.
- Intriguing expansive lore.
- Huge boss fights.
- Mini map shows chests and mission markers.
- A huge open world where you can do as you like within the sandbox environment.
- Easily playable with a simple control scheme mixed with the whole pick up and play mentality.
- Juddery performance with screen tearing and just general slow down its biggest problem.
- A lot of fiddly platforming sections with the main problem being that the game doesnt always register grabs and jumps properly.
- Menu system feels slow and clunky, Changing gear is a chore as is checking the map.
- Cannot use d pad in menu options.