Review: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Nintendo Switch)
Join Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong and Funky Kong as they swim, swing, spring, and surf through islands packed with hazards, hidden collectibles, and unforgettable boss encounters.
- Crisp HD graphics.
- 6.6GB Download size.
- Three save slots.
- Two modes- Original and Funky mode.
- The funky mode allows you to play as Funky Kong for the first time,. You can double jump, Have more hearts (5 instead of 3), your surfboard stops you form taking spike damage and more.
- Pro controller support with each control option having two layouts to choose from.
- Local two player support.
- Supports dual Jpoycon play, Separate Joycons for co-op and handheld.
- Extras- Gallery showing off collected items covering music, dioramas, concept art and more.
- Platformer gameplay.
- World map level select.
- Can replay levels.
- Levels can have multiple exits meaning you can unlock new routes/levels or shortcuts.
- Many collectibles in level- Coins, Jigsaw pieces, and balloons.
- Checkpoints throughout the level.
- Secret bonus rooms.
- Fast loading times.
- Bonus barrel at the level end.
- Inventory- Here is where you can use any purchased items.
- Shop- Use your coins to buy items, For example, an item to stop you from dying in holes or have extra hit points and more.
- Tons of replayability.
- Can change Kongs at the map screen.
- Awesome level design from the transitions to water to finding alternate routes and bonuses.
- Funky mode makes a notoriously tough game a lot more manageable.
- Memorable boss battles.
- Fail a level enough times and you can skip it.
- Time attack- Play on finished levels and you can play online or offline. Has full leaderboard support. Offline has three medals for times, Bronze, Silver, and Gold.
- 3D world- You can jump into the background/foreground.
- Bright color palette with some one-off designs like a silhouetted landscape.
- Such a satisfying experience.
- Online leaderboards have a replay feature so you can watch the best players.
- Fun to play.
- Wide selection of characters from Donkey to Diddy to Crank and Dixie.
- The funky mode allows less experienced gamers a chance at not only the game but also to co-op.
- Choosing Funky or original is permanent. If you want to change then you need to start a new save.
- Ready to play screen on every level that is just pointless.
- Controls feel a bit loose at first.
- Outside of Funky Kong, the game is very difficult.
- Minecart sections are still tough as you are still using the 3 heart life.
- Can only try bonus rooms once.
- No ledge grab.
- Few instances of platform landing not registering.
- Only one player can play as Funky Kong in co-op.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessability - 8/108/10
- Length - 9/109/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Still a stone-cold classic, You get a proper traditional platformer that is fun to play and even more fun in co-op (I say fun I mean stressful) Funky Kong really is a game changer you would think that making it easier would water down the experience but it really doesn’t, What it does it open it up to more players and encourage veterans to learn new playstyles. In short, This is a must play game.