Review: Drawkanoid (Steam)
Hyperspeed neon brick-breaking with bullet time and explosions. What more do you need? How about ludicrous powerups and multiple game modes? You’re welcome.
- Cool neon graphic style.
- 290mb download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Graphics-resolution and screen shake.
- Arkanoid/Alleyway inspired gameplay.
- Brief tutorial tips.
- All plays on a mouse.
- Gimmick-you, draw the bar in real-time for the ball to hit, to make it easier the screen is split into two and the lower half enters a slo-mo “bullet time” window.
- Awesome Chiptune soundtrack.
- Fast-paced action.
- Replays-save local or tweet and it auto-fills the text and tags. The replay is akin to the play of the game.
- Bits-earn from playing and spend on upgrades and mods.
- Can have 3 mods installed at once and these change the gameplay in some way.
- Looks proper slick.
- Randomized levels.
- Unlock 2 game modes- Zen (slow/no bosses) and Countdown (timed).
- Boss fights at the end of each level.
- Absolute time killer.
- No controller support but to be honest it wouldn’t work well.
- Minimal graphics options.
- No leaderboards at all.
- Small game screen.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 10/1010/10
Loves me a bit of Breakout, Arkanoid or Alleyway (delete as applicable) seeing what we had here I was a little intimidated by the speed and Neon and honestly wondered if I could take yet another take on the genre. After a few quick goes I got it but it left me cold, I didn’t like having to sit up and use a mouse and my reflexes are more grandpa than a ninja. Then one lonely night just me and my mouse I put my headphones on, cranked the volume and just absorbed everything it threw at me! Started slowly but nailed the bar drawing as I figured out you can draw but then drag it so that’s the reflexes sorted! Adjusted my seating and before I knew it four hours passed and I still wanted more, I unlocked everything in the shop and just wanted more. Bummed it had no leaderboards though as I may have stood a chance of cracking the top 100000, a guy can dream. Anyway let’s keep it profesh, Drawkanoid is a lush little game that has a slight learning curve but that is soon forgotten and the sheer speed and madness is what you walk away remembering. Great game.