Review: Extinction (Steam)
You are one of the world’s last Sentinels, a soldier named Avil equipped with the skills to battle the endless wave of Ravenii. Fight massive brutes and their minions across a sprawling countryside, defending cities and rescuing refugees torn from their homes.
- Cool almost cel-shaded cartoon graphics.
- Controller support.
- Graphics- Resolution, Max FPS, V-Sync, AA, Motion blur, Preset, Shadows, Textures, and foliage.
- Sensitivity and invert axis option.
- Campaign- Seven chapters with a handful of levels.
- Campaign levels have the main goal with three optional quests.
- SP- Currency used in the game and earned from fighting, killing and cutting parts and saving civilians.
- Fast loading times.
- Game modes- Skirmish, Extinction (wave based) and daily challenge.
- Full leaderboard support across all modes.
- Steam achievements.
- Runs really well.
- Ravenii- Huge monsters almost troll like that you have to take down. You may have to destroy their armor first or bust locks open and slice their arms and legs off to slow them down then cut their head off!
- Ongoing tutorial pop-ups.
- Easy flow to climbing walls and jumping from roof to roof.
- Rune energy- Used to unleash powerful strikes and killing strikes on the Ravenii, You get rune energy from killing the smaller enemies and saving civilians.
- Destructible world.
- 2358MB Download size.
- Many enemy types from the small ground-based ones to the Ravenii who have many armor variations.
- Can fast skip story scenes and interactions.
- Upgrade tree- Use SP to buy new abilities or increase the effectiveness of unlocked abilities.
- You keep any earned SP upon game over.
- Levels are predetermined in the campaign but in the other modes, it is randomly generated.
- Seed number- When creating a random level you get a seed number that you can share with friends to compete for scores.
- Decent checkpointing.
- Controls are easy enough and when using your rune strike, Time slows down to help aim your swipes.
- Bad hit detection.
- Does one thing and you do that over and over.
- Despite different game modes they all soon feel the same.
- Rune strikes, in general, are slow and tedious especially when trying to hit a small padlock.
- The game just fizzles out after a few hours.
- Cannot skip[ all cutscenes.
- One hit kills are fine but the detection notification, Frequency of these hits are far too common.
- Not that fun.
- No multiplayer.
- Lacks Steam trading cards.
- Short story.
- Very basic combat system.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessability - 7/107/10
- Length - 6/106/10
- Fun Factor - 6/106/10
What a game this could have been! I mean the build-up had it looking like an Attack on Titan clone with a like Soul Reaver combat/travel system. What we got was a game that feels early access, Very shallow on content and just has you doing the same mindless shite over and over. I had fun for the first two hours and was awaiting the game to open up only to find I would continue doing the exact same stuff I didn’t in the first two hours. I am so disappointed as the game looks great, The world could be a good one but it just doesn’t have anything for you to cling onto. The first time you take down a Ravenii is brilliant but then it just gets tedious and repetitive, In short, it’s a game that promised a lot but delivered very little but tried to charge full price for it.