Review: F1 2018 (PlayStation 4)
F1 2018 is the official video game of the 2018 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP. Become immersed in the world of Formula 1 more than ever before. Here is our review of F1 2018 on PlayStation 4.
- Stunning graphics.
- 42.53GB Download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Slick easy character creator complete with name, helmet choice etc.
- Six modes- Career, Grand Prix, Multiplayer, Time Trial, Event, and Championships.
- Calibrate, Rebind, Force feedback, and MFD shortcut setup even for the controller.
- Graphics- HDR, Steering animations, Motion blur strength, and peak NIT adjustment.
- Full HD/OD setup with options like Flags, Notifications, Speedo, Reus, Lap counter, Lap times, Opacity and many more.
- Telemetry settings- UDP mode, UDP port, and UDP format.
- Full camera setup and a FOV slider.
- Autosave on/off.
- Career- Pick a team (Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, Renault, Haas, Mclaren, Sahara, Toro Rosso, Sauber, and Williams. Pick your teammate. Pro career on/off (Turns off assists) Setup the rules, Regulations and damage model type from cosmetic to full simulation.
- Tutorial videos throughout.
- In game cutscenes.
- Official teams and drivers. Just in case you didn’t realize.
- R+D tree in the campaign. Earn resource points from racing, Spend points in the big skill tree. It is split into 4 categories- Chasis, Durability, Powertrain, and aerodynamics. All upgrades are not instantly applied instead take a set amount of time.
- The sound is phenomenal with each car sounding different, Skids and scrapes sound brilliant.
- Uses the DS4 speaker to relay messages from your team. Really adds atmosphere and immersion.
- Photo mode- Can change time and weather with all settings you hope to see in a photo mode like a vignette, brightness, saturation, depth of field, f-stop and more.
- Flashback- Rewind time.
- Seven driving camera views- Wing, Nose, Cockpit, TV pod, TV pod offset, Near chase and far chase.
- The campaign has interviews where you get asked a question and you have 4 responses, You are timed and answers will give bonus rep or cause you to lose rep.
- Can skip all pre-race events practice and qualifying.
- TV show presentation.
- Decent loading times.
- So many numbers and graphs for every part, A true graph porn simulator.
- Clutch and RPM mini-game type event at the start of every race. Timing this will give you the best or worst start. (Can be turned off)
- GP mode- Classic or modern era cars. Create your own set of rules and races.
- Multiplayer- Ranked, Unranked and online championship. You can set them to open or private. Has a server browser and has a host option. In ranked you choose which ruleset to use- 25% or 5 laps.
- Event- One off race scenario complete with leaderboards.
- Championships mode- Earn stars as you race across multiple disciplines and unlocking further events.
- Solid handling which again can be tweaked.
- Dripping in the atmosphere.
Pick up the game for a bargain price at CDKEYS, Click the image.
- Small in-game text.
- A lot to take in.
- The campaign q+a section really just boils down to say the right thing to get a rep boost.
- A lot of jargon.
- Handling needs your attention as it is so responsive.
- Doesn’t feel like it welcomes/helps new players to the game as much as you would want.
- Feels at times you getting unfairly punished in collisions.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessability - 8/108/10
- Length - 9/109/10
- Fun Factor - 10/1010/10
F1 2018 is a huge step up over last years entry, How? Well, it caters to so many types of player. You have proper in-depth settings for all the controls and inputs, HUD nerds can tweak every aspect of the screen, Campaign feels a lot more fleshed out, Aside from the interview sections adding a new way to form your personality, You can also affect the whole team by being nice or being a dick to your co-driver and changing the dynamic. But to keep it simple it looks better and plays a lot better, I love the integration of the DS4 speaker, It adds so much. I didn’t like all the jargon and pop up menus available to me in the game as it becomes a distraction. The speed of every race is breakneck, Very Wipeout on wheels. F1 2018 is presented like a TV show and that again only adds more atmosphere and realism to it all. I like how you can do as much or as little as you like, You can earn rep for your team and also yourself to unlock even more content. Really impressed with how it all comes together and feel happy to say 100% this is the best F1 game to date.