Review: Fat Princess Adventures (PS4)
This new co-op adventure serves up the cheeky light-hearted humor that made the PlayStation 3 game what it was. Up to 4 friends can team up for a not-so-epic adventure to slay monsters, steal loot, rescue the princesses, gobble cake, and defeat the evil Bitter Queen.
- Cutesy classic Fat Princess graphics.
- Original narrator voice is back! As humorous and witty as ever.
- Catchy soundtrack you come to expect from the series.
- Full Platinum trophy.
- Twiddly Knobs (options) allow you to tinker with game settings like Blood on/off, EXP/Damage numbers on/off, Auto equip, Change audio settings.
- Four save slots.
- Four difficulties: Cakewalk, Normal, Hard and Cakemare.
- Party status: Offline, Invite only, Just friends and anybody.
- Campaign can be played either solo or with friends.
- Supports four-player online and local co-op.
- Main campaign has seven chapters.
- Gameplay can be likened to a Diablo lite affair. You kill multiple enemies, Loot chests and enemies can drop loot. Equip new armour and weapons and upgrade them.
- Easy simple control scheme.
- Side missions are optional but reward bonus EXP and sometimes loot.
- Big boss fights ususally incorporating some mechanic in order to beat them.
- Earn exp and level up.
- Loot chests are scattered around with some chests requiring specific elemental attacks in order to open them.
- Loot new armour: Hats, Chest piece and boots. They can increase attack or defense or even add bonus elemental effects.
- Collect gold coins to upgrade weapons and armour. Coins can drop from anywhere.
- Easy item management.
- Main hub where you can freely wander around, Visit the upgrades merchant or walk into areas of the map.
- Grindhouse: New way to replay levels.You spin a wheel which randomly changes the game play. Could be certain classes are unavailable or enemies do more damage etc. There is three wheels to spin and the third one can only be unlocked by having a co-op partner. You do get to pick the level you play and the difficulty.
- Checkpoints: Here it saves your current progress and also allows you to change class on the fly.
- Character classes: Mage, Archer, Warrior and Wizard are all available and each one can be individually upgraded and equipped.
- Awesome mode: Fill your awesome bar by killing enemies and drinking awesome juice to unleash timed attacks that deal extra awesome damage!
- Cake: Eat this to regain health, When you continue to eat you will grow into a large fat version of yourself and have new attacks for a limited time.
- Items can fall into unreachable areas.
- Invisible unhittable enemies happen.
- Cannot set side quests as a main objective.
- Slow starter.
- Items and stats do not carry over when changing difficulty.
- Picking up items can be tricky.
- Finding online games is slow.
- The campaign is short and can easily be done in a few hours.
- The game appears a lot deeper than it actually is, Once you upgrade a weapon so far, There is little need to swap it out unless tackling higher difficulties.