Review: Fight’N Rage (PlayStation 4)
Fight’N Rage is a brand new old-school side-scroller beat’em up. Inspired by the classics from the “golden age”, and with an art style that mimics the aesthetic from the 90’s arcade gems, this game pays homage to all classic gameplay features that make this genre one of the best from its time.
- Decent 16bit influenced graphics.
- 203.7mb download size.
- How to play section.
- Display settings-post effect/raster mode/HDR and colourstyle.
- Side-scrolling beat-em-up gameplay.
- Platinum trophy.
- Streets of rage inspired.
- Two starting difficulties-normal and hard.
- A wide selection of attack moves like an uppercut and jump kicks along with special moves that use up your health when you do them.
- Can see enemy health bars.
- Proper arcade old school atmosphere.
- Slick cool-looking animations.
- Combo counter.
- Controls are easy to learn and feel familiar to gamers used to the genre.
- Cool locations.
- Infinite continues.
- Coins-earned based on your score and use them to buy new modes/character skins/options/characters.
- A lot of depth and repetition.
- Can save and continue your playthrough.
- Starting game mode is just arcade mode.
- Speed run tools integrated completely with checkpoint and level timers.
- Unlock new characters by defeating X amount of them and buying them.
- Every character has a handful of costume choices and colors.
- Big boss fights.
- Pick up health and weapons in level.
- Good selection of enemy types.
- 2 or 3 local co-op support.
- Rock soundtrack.
- Fun to play.
- You have to beat your head against the game at the start in order to unlock better characters or unlock easy difficulty. (only applies if like me you suck)
- It takes ages to get coins.
- Difficulty spikes with the boss fights.
- Very rock-heavy soundtrack.
- Levels can go on a bit too long.
- No pop-up or general notification of unlocking new stuff except for a small new icon on the menu.
- Very very grindy.
- Game over has you start at the level start again.
- Annoying sections like fighting on a piece of wood but falling off is way too easy and you lose a lot of health.
- Health pickups are scarce.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Fight’N Rage is a fantastic love letter to the side scroller beat em ups of the past. Taking a lot of what made games like Final Fight and Streets of Rage so good, Fight’N Rage is a fun yet difficult brawler. You can play with another 2 local players for that arcade feel and punch and kick your way through the game. The thing they add here that the other games never had was depth, in Fight’N Rage you collect coins and spend these on new modes like training or difficulties like easy, it’s an incentive to keep you coming back time after time. Even basic fighting is more in-depth as you have a roster of moves that could rival a Streetfighter game, but with great depth comes much repetition with coins coming slowly and modes unlocking seemingly at random. Overall it is a very good solid beat em up and sticks to the source material yet adding more modern spins and mechanics, a must-play for fans of the genre or anyone looking for a Co-op game.