Review: Gal Metal (Nintendo Switch)
One night while on his way home from school, a high school boy is abducted by the Octoids, an extraterrestrial species bent on revenge. The boy’s soul is transplanted into a high school girl’s body in a sinister experiment. Now sharing a body, the duo must work together with her high school band, K.M.G. (Kichijoji Metal Girls) to defeat the aliens with their greatest weakness: metal!
- Cartoon graphics.
- 2.8GB Download size.
- Three control methods- Joycons, Controller or touchscreen.
- Can set up Joycon sensitivity per Joycon.
- Four modes- Practice, Freeplay, Story, and mode.
- Mode- Joycon mode where you can play Noodle (wave Joycons) or Drum mode (replicates hitting drums)
- Rhythm action style gameplay.
- Badges- Act as the games own in-game achievements.
- Ongoing tutorial support.
- Joycon controls are very responsive and accurate.
- Comic book style cutscenes and goes frame by frame.
- 13 save slots.
- Story- When outside a battle you can freely take on events, Raise affinity with band members by playing gigs with them or going shopping and more via the town map screen. Everything is governed by stamina which goes down as you do activities.
- You have five parameters to your character- Morality, Kvit, Guts, Activity and passion. You increase/decrease these stats with the activities in town.
- Combo counter.
- No icons to follow, You play how you want but learning a sequence will increase your score/combo.
- On-screen feedback to hits.
- You have three parts of the drum at your disposal, wing the right Joy-Con for the kick drum, the left Joy-Con for the snare drum, and both at the same time for a cymbal crash.
- A lot of fun to play.
- Comes into its own when you play with detached Joycons.
- Really small text.
- A lot to take in.
- A slow starter as it builds the story.
- If you go to play via touchscreen without changing the option in the settings then you will be stuck on a screen and have to reboot.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessability - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Gal Metal is a weird game to me. Everything had me believing the game was a simple rhythm action game, Time your hits with the icons and score big. NOPE, it has zero icons and instead of being told what to do, You do what you want. Now obviously if you just wildly swing about, You will feel like your doing well but you actually won’t be. Instead, the game teaches you to pick up sequences and notice patterns and upon doing this will reward you with high scores and combos. The story mode is great fun as in between gigs you can hang out and work on changing your stats and building a better rep with bandmates. But the real selling point here and thing to shout about is how accurate and fun the Joycons are as drums, Well executed and a ton of fun to play. It may just take time to get the real meat from the game.