Review: Galak Z (PS4)
Prepare for the bar to be raised on deep-space 2D dog-fighting! GALAK-Z is a modern, A.I. and physics-driven open-world action game, viewed through the lens of the classic 16-bit space shooter. Powered by the next-generation Cyntient AI platform, Galak-Z puts players in control of anime-inspired spacecraft inhabiting procedurally generated worlds.
- Cartoon HD graphics.
- 90s Anime cartoon presentation.
- Rogue like space shooter with RPG elements.
- Opening tutorial section.
- Old school touches throughout the game including the excellent VCR tap pause screen complete with blurry lines.
- Main hub where you get your mission and can visit the shop to upgrade and buy weapons and armour.
- Huge open levels. you are sent to a planet but you start in open space and in theory can go where ever you like.
- Salvage from enemies is converted into cash.
- 11 trophies to unlock.
- 5 seasons to unlock. You need to complete 5 missions within a season in one life to open the next season. Once unlocked you can jump between seasons from the main menu.
- Shop can appear in the planets you explore.
- Average loading times.
- Planet map is all hidden and you reveal it as you explore.
- Map shows off any unclaimed salvage, objectives and any collectibles.
- Audio proximity sound when near a collectible.
- You can find and pick up instant upgrades like new guns, faster thrusters etc.
- Roguelike in that when you die you lose everything you have collected and any upgrades installed.
- Missions are randomised so you never get the same run twice.
- Blue prints unlock new items in the shop.
- Level performance breakdown at the end of a level competition. Enemies killed, time taken and collectible count is all recorded and displayed on the side of your ship.
- Game only saves in the main hub.
- The only way to save upgrades, collectibles and mission progress is to finish the season.
- Unlock new toys for your ship like strafing making fights easier and mech mode where you can transform into a proper bad ass mech complete with all new weapons and attacks.
- Each season is presented like a TV show episode. you get an intro complete with who wrote the story. Finishing the season will trigger a full credits roll.
- brilliant cartoon sounding sound effects. every enemy has a animated profile pic and unique voice with ever changing dialogue.
- You have a booster which can overheat for faster travel.
- Crash coins: collect these and then cash them in after you die for cash. This is basically a helpful hand and saves you starting broke on a new run.
- 4 factions are in the game and all are hostile to you but you can sit back and watch them fight each other.
- Use the environment to your advantage, Shoot plants to expel things like bubbles which slow enemies or shoots spikes out.
- 4.911GB file download size.
- You can use the right stick to look at the area around you before moving.
- Sweet animations.
- Easy to play, hard to master.
- Clever AI where they will actively hunt you down, work as a team or know when to back off and regroup.
- Movement takes a while to get used to as it is very floaty. Very Solar Jet man in that you don’t have immediate control but more using thrusters to maintain direction.
- Difficulty spikes throughout.
- Can accidently wipe your save or save over it. If you click the wrong button on the main menu it is already too late and you have lost your current run.
- Slowdown in places.
- brutal difficulty if you are not prepared to try, try and try again.
man Galak Z is awesome! What you get here is a piece of absolute art. the roguelike elements keep you coming back for more whilst the difficulty mocks you at every turn. I just love how the game let’s you play how you want to play., As a space shooter you would expect to just shoot everything in sight… This is not always the case and avoiding fights and going stealth is just as effective as fighting. Hunt down the hidden chests, Upgrade your ship and just soak up the Anime love. Every season ends with a boss battle but also gives you the best upgrade. in short this is one of the best games on PS4 this year and we’ll worth your time. Buy it and never regret it.