Review: Gene Rain (Xbox One)
Gene Rain is a next-gen third-person shooter game. The story is set in a futuristic world, with a linear narrative structure, and uses shocking visual effects to present a brand new world for the players ‘ enjoyment.
- Decent graphics overall.
- 11.5GB Download size.
- 1000 Gamerscore.
- Basic tutorial pop-ups.
- High-resolution option.
- 3RD person cover based shooter gameplay.
- Upgrade terminals- Buy new perks and upgrade guns here.
- An ok story very sci-fi and well told.
- Can blow up barrels.
- Droid support like healing or turret.
- Collect parts from enemies which are used at the terminals.
- Boss fights.
- A dozen or so different enemy types.
- Clear enemy health bars.
- AI can at times act really unique and do flanking maneuvers.
- Few good set pieces.
- In game cutscenes.
- A lot of slowdowns even with high res off.
- The opening section you do has not tutorial help at all.
- Not the best voice acting.
- Volumes are all over the place.
- Cannot skip cutscenes.
- No controller options like a run toggle.
- Feels a bit hand holdy.
- A lot of loading screens.
- Cover control is not snappy and struggles.
- Music cuts in and out.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 5/105/10
- Accessability - 6/106/10
- Length - 6/106/10
- Fun Factor - 5/105/10
I try to appreciate every game, But sometimes you get a game that just won’t let you get on with it. I had that problem here, Yes it looks nice and the story is not half bad, But as soon as you load in the trouble begins. I had really bad slowdown and button lag that already I knew I was in for a fight. Its controls are fine as it takes a lot from Gears Of War, Not just the controls but also characters look a lot like the COG team, Levels could easily pass as parts of the city from Gears, Once I got that thought in my head the more evidence I saw I was right. Regardless the game has bad shooting and cover is not snappy or terribly responsive. I did however like the upgrade stuff and how the game wants to be but man its a hard ask. In short, Despite an alright story and decent graphics. The technical issues and gameplay choices let the game down a lot.