Review: Golem Gates (PlayStation 4)
Golem Gates blends elements of real-time strategy (RTS) and card battle. Collect cards (called Glyphs) containing your forces and powers. Strategically weave them into a deck to prepare for battle, then unleash them in streamlined, fast-paced battles.
- Decent graphics.
- 7.85gb download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Tutorial section.
- Camera-speed and alt camera speed sliders.
- Four modes-Story, challenges, survival, and VS.
- Vs-quick match, create/find games and Ai matches.
- Survival-find/create games.
- RTS slash card battler gameplay.
- The goal is to build an army and destroy your enemies Harbinger (player).
- Energy-used to cast your glyphs (cards). Energy replenishes over time and taking over generators in the level speed up the refilling.
- The map is dark and has to be uncovered as you move.
- Unicron sounding voice over guy, very powerful and demanding.
- Well presented.
- Decent story.
- Fun to play.
- Create your own deck of glyphs (cards).
- Many units type to control and fight against.
- Handy hold X to select troops quickly.
- Unlock new units/glyphs by playing.
- A lot of cool effects and animations.
- A lot to take in.
- Slow starter.
- Daunting menus.
- Not the fastest loading times.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Golem Gates is a game that promises a lot but does it deliver it? To me, it went above all expectations! For I expected a fun yet limited card battler with slight combat but what you actually get is a decent RTS game with a strong card game addition. You play glyphs (cards) and this will spawn your troops or special abilities. You can then quickly and easily command your troops and navigate and explore the map. It’s the presentation though that gets me. Yes, the menus all look really daunting and it does take a few games to get going but the reward is such a well told the story, the voice over guy sounds like a Transformer and instantly grabs your attention. What I am saying is Golem Gates is a really good RTS game and an even better card battler.