Review: Golf With Your Friends (PlayStation 4)
Why have friends if not to play Golf… With Your Friends! Nothing is out of bounds as you take on 11 courses filled with fast-paced, exciting, simultaneous mini golf for up to 12 players
- Bright colorful graphics.
- 5.70gb download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Rebind controls.
- Invert axis and sensitivity sliders.
- Tutorial tips-on/off.
- Customize your golf ball with hats, trails, and more.
- 11 courses-forest, haunted, oasis, space station, museum, pirate cove, volcano, ancient, twilight, candy Island, worms.
- 5 game modes-classic, dunk, hockey, explore, and party.
- Mode settings can be tweaked like max shots per round, collision type, spawns, penalties, etc.
- Practice mode.
- Offline mode-pick any course any game mode and tweak the settings.
- Fun modifiers can be applied like ball shape/size, use of powerups, being able to jump.
- Free cam to scan the green.
- Controls-left stick to set power, right stick for the camera, and R1 to use precise aim.
- Fast loading times and near-instant between holes.
- Hockey mode-use a Puck instead of a ball and instead of a hole you must score past a goalie.
- Courses can have secrets and alternative routes.
- Unlock new customizable items by playing the game.
- Clear Hud showing power, par score.
- Hockey golf is a whole lot of fun and is a nice change of pace.
- Autosaves regularly.
- Dunk mode-you have to jump the ball into a hoop which is very challenging.
- Party mode is where you have powerups and spins enabled.
- Spin-easy to understand control and icon on the screen.
- A lot of fun.
- Very accessible.
- Host options-public, password, invite-only and friends only.
- Can set custom settings for each individual game mode.
- The camera can go funny.
- Slight screen tearing.
- Difficulty spikes.
- No real single-player stuff just the standard play this hole.
- Can’t change the hole amount it’s always 18.
- The learning curve with how powerful the shot bar is.
- Few annoying level design choices where it feels like you are stuck.
- Changing any setting for the course including time clock and retry that shot makes it custom.
- Free cam is very temperamental.
- Music is bland.
- No leaderboards.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
As the name suggests the main draw of the game is to play with friends. I mean that’s true except you can as a single-player experience all the courses, modes and get your unlocks to customize your ball. Let’s be honest though, add a few friends or Internet randoms and you have yourself an awesome experience. Controls are simple with a set power bar and go meaning anyone can jump in and play. The actual courses take in a variety of locations and for the majority of the time it all plays well, I did have a few instances where a gimmick in the level could hinder and frustrate but you kind of let it off especially after you use a jetpack! It’s crazy golf but not as we know it, you can tweak a large majority of the game and save them as we know it, and whilst it looks safe and uninteresting it is a surprisingly fun experience. I would break the game out for some multiplayer fun but wouldn’t bother if it was just me. Overall it feels and plays just fine but sometimes the gimmicks and novelties hold it back. Get this game to play with friends as the name suggests.