Review: Hellpoint (Steam)
Hellpoint is an intense action RPG taking place on Irid Novo, a derelict space station soaked in an intoxicating dark sci-fi atmosphere. Fight dreadful creatures, face the Cosmic Gods, and unravel their twisted story. Should the challenge be too great, play with a friend in local or online coop.
- Decent graphics.
- 5215mb download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Controller support.
- Graphics-fullscreen, resolution, v-sync, shadows, anti-aliasing, texture limit, bloom, glare, anisotropic filtering, dirt, depth of field, motion blur, ambient occlusion, and local contrast.
- Twitch Integration. Viewers can spawn in enemies. Ies and mess with your character.
- Action RPG gameplay.
- Takes a lot of inspiration from Dark Souls.
- The tutorial is dished out by interacting with handprints in the world.
- Combat is very heavy on timing, learning patterns, and counter striking.
- Axions-found in the world and by defeating enemies.
- Level up at a rift portal by infusing Axions into your body and picking a start to increase.
- The game never pauses.
- Online Co-op by summoning for help and players finding and interacting with the summoning hand icon.
- Emote system with the touchpad.
- Find and unlock shortcuts.
- When you die you leave behind loot and a ghost of yourself guards it.
- Leave messages for each other via handprints on the wall and you can vote on them.
- Load out-main and off-hand slots, armor slots for body boots and head, equipable items like healing items. You can equip multiple main and offhand weapons at once and swap between them.
- Big open areas to explore.
- Enemy health bars show.
- Attacks-light and heavy along with block or kick.
- Stamina system in play for rolling, blocking, running, and attacks.
- Can farm to level up.
- The atmosphere is top-notch with a touch of jump scare to it.
- Random drops from enemies.
- Ranged weapons are guns and they are brilliant fun.
- Enemies respawn over time.
- Big boss encounters.
- The slowdown happens a lot.
- Very cagey and unhelpful on what mechanics and systems are at play.
- Online has lots of unplayable lag and rubber banding.
- Long loading times.
- Small text.
- A lot of the messages don’t load.
- A long way between boss fights and checkpoints.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessibility - 9/109/10
- Length - 9/109/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Hellpoint makes no bones about it, It’s a Dark Souls game through and through. It is also a very good Dark Souls type game with a really good setting and satisfying combat, it’s hard not to fall in love with it all. Funny thing is it’s so like Dark Souls it even has the same performance issues of slowdown and choppiness, How’s that for the dedication! Seriously though its a great game and the world reminded me somewhat of a Dead Space game, eerie lighting, out in space facing off against who knows what and just trying to survive. I struggled a lot with the difficulty but to be honest, I’m getting on a bit and the old reflexes are not what they used to be! (actually they are and always have been the same… Shit) I lost hours scouring the map and finding new shortcuts and secrets every time, having the enemies respawn on a timer made it so you never felt safe, the leveling up was quite generic and boring but the combat was sublime. Boss battles as you would expect are there own spectacle taking place in locked arenas and granting the best rewards, proper nails difficulty mind as you learn the patterns but ultimately satisfying. Overall it is what it is and it does it really well and is a must-play game for Souls fans and alike. It ever so slightly outscored the PlayStation 4 version as being in Steam it gets updates quicker and thus has a smoother experience overall.