Review: Horizon Chase Turbo (PlayStation 4)
Horizon Chase Turbo is a racing game inspired by the great hits of the 80’s and 90’s: Out Run, Top Gear, Rush, among others. It recreates classic arcade gameplay and offers you unbound speed limits of fun.
- Gorgeous 16-bit graphics.
- 776.3MB Download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Can remap controls by individual profile.
- A racing game inspired by classic games like Outrun.
- Online leaderboards support.
- Time trial ghost support.
- Tokens-Littered across the level.
- Fuel-Goes down but you can pick up more in the game and any unused fuel is turned into a points bonus.
- Points- Earned from racing, Tokens, and fuel and is used to unlock races and cars.
- Thirty plus cars to unlock.
- Very fast loading.
- Two starting cars.
- Super trophy- Awarded when you get first place and collect all tokens in one go.
- Speed start/ slow start.
- Smooth arcade handling.
- Clear HUD including a minimap.
- A lot of replayability.
- Turbo- You start with a couple and can sometimes grab more in game.
- Unlock bonus races that finishing in first gives you upgrades to all your cars.
- Different times of the day.
- Three game modes- World Tour, Tournament, and endurance.
- Three difficulties for the tournament- Amateur, Professional, and master.
- Four player local multiplayer support. Uses a party system.
- Four locations- USA, Chile, Brazil and South Africa.
- Uses DS4 speaker.
- Nice track design.
- Music by Barry Leitch who was behind the soundtracks of classic arcade racing games Lotus Turbo Challenge, Top Gear and Rush.
- Fun to play.
- Hitting cars shunts you a way back and slows you. In fact it is more detrimental than just flat out crashing.
- You have to unlock tournaments and endurance modes.
- No actual tutorial.
- Only one view.
- No customization for your cars.
- Slow to unlock things.
- No online racing.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessability - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
Finally a homage to not just Outrun but to all of the classic racers of the 80s and 90s. It does a really good job of not only combining all mechanics but also provide an enjoyable addictive romp. The handling is so smooth and responsive and just evokes nothing but good feelings. A game every retro gamer needs to add to their collection.