Review: Hunt Showdown (Steam)
Hunt: Showdown is a competitive first-person PvP bounty hunting game with heavy PvE elements, from the makers of Crysis. Set in the darkest corners of the world, it packs the thrill of survival games into a match-based format.
- Gorgeous dark grimey graphics.
- 24900mb Download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Steam trading cards.
- Controller support.
- FOV slider.
- Graphics-four presets including custom. AA/V-sync/texture filtering/resolution/res scale/window mode/object and texture quality/lighting, shadow effect, post process, particle quality.
- FPS limit.
- Four control layouts.
- Invert axis and sensitivity slider.
- Optional training matches with 3 difficulties and has you face off against just AI and a boss.
- Geforce experience integrated.
- Tense unnerving atmosphere.
- AI enemies in the world.
- Two control schemes-Gunslinger (faster aiming/slower melee and bad stealth) Hunter (melee/stealth happy and slower gun control).
- Clues-can only be seen when in dark sight. You find the clues to pinpoint the boss’s location.
- Boss fight-win to get items that you must escape with.
- Can leave the match via an exit whenever.
- It’s a PvE and PvP game.
- Play how you want.
- Huge map.
- Can play out how you want like go do the objectives or just let someone else do it then kill them as they leave.
- Roguelike in that if you die then your character/gear die with them and you pay in-game cash for another hunter.
- The bloodline-overall rank that allows you to get better hunter/loadout.
- Shop to buy new gums/items/equipment.
- A powerful engine that allows many biome types in the game world from swamps to built-up areas.
- Strong stealth mechanic, can hide in grass/trees/buildings. Crows can be used for distraction.
- A handful of enemy types who all act differently.
- Solid gameplay.
- Has so much horror representation within the game.
- Big massive boss encounters.
- Balanced in that when a player has the boss token, they show up in dark sight so you can track them.
- Two game modes- Competitive (the main PVP/PvE mode) and Quickplay where its a shorter mode and you race to kill others and close rifts.
- The map contains self-contained events/interactions.
- Slow starter.
- It can be hard to get into at first.
- Playing with randoms is not that fun.
- In-app purchases for skins.
- Matchmaking can be buggy and slow.
- A lot of camping.
- Steep learning curve.
- Slow loading times.
- Graphics - 10/1010/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 9/109/10
- Fun Factor - 10/1010/10
Hunt Showdown is a game that is introducing a somewhat new genre to the world. It’s a PvP game at the core but has a lot of PvE elements with AI enemies roaming the world, little self-contained events and its all of this that builds a very unique world and leaves every game feeling new and fresh. The game engine allows us to play how we want to use fire, destruction, and scenery to hideaway. I just love how you can do what you want, nothing says Bastard quite like waiting out a boss room then killing the players who just did all the hard work. I like how I can chicken out and go into a game kill some AI gets a little EXP then leave. It’s a game that has so many possibilities as long as the servers are behaving. This does flip however with enemy players being bastards to you and campers ruining it a lot. The initial games will be horrendous and slow as you slowly find your footing and work out all the mechanics. Overall I really like how Hunt plays and what experiences it exposes you to, I just hope they continue to improve and add to the game.