Review: Ice Rage Hockey
Ice Rage brings ice hockey into the 21st century, whilst paying tribute to 1984’s Hat Trick. Players face off across a ice rink, in a hockey duel – one player and one keeper one each side. Play is rapid and rough, with players spending as much time eating the ice as on their feet.
- Chunky cartoon graphics. Very reminiscent of characters from Nintendo world cup on the NES.
- Single player has 3 game modes: Quick match, Tournament and Rage off, Where you face off against players with only have one energy bar basically making it a survival game mode.
- Over a dozen characters to choose from.
- Multuplayer is all on the same screen and you have a side of it each. Obviously the bigger the screen the better.
- Two control types. 2 Button or 1 button. 2 Has you moving as well as shooting/passing. 1 Button has you just controlling the shooting and passing.
- Three difficulty options. Easy,Medium and hard. Hard is faster gameplay and you have to control the goalie as well as the players. Easy is a lot simplier.
- Gameplay in general is fast and fun with a old school vibe about it. KJind of like a bite sized NHL 3 on 3.
- Good sound effects and music.
- No adverts at all even though it is a free game.
- Hold down the button for shot power and again sticking with the simple control scheme.
- Slick funny animations from shooting to knocking over players over.
- Multiplayer works really well.
- Cheap price point as lets face it, FREE is pretty cheap in todays market!
- In App Purchases.
- Gameplay can quickly become a simple Pong reinactment scenario.
- Manual movement is not as fluid and responsive as you would like and is quite tricky to keep up with the fast pace.
- 1 button just makes the game so easy.
- No Google Play integration.
- Single player is fun in short bursts but soon loses its appeal.
- Needs whacky game modes and even the introduction of power ups.
In Summary, The game is FREE and worth your time. its a short burst type of game but it still serves as a brilliant time waster. Fans of old school games like NHL hockey on the Megadrive will get enjoyment from it. In short it is a good time waster but lacks any longevity and multiplayer works well.