Review: Just Shapes & Beats (Steam)
“Just Shapes & Beats” is a chaotic co-op musical bullet-hell based on three simple things: avoid Shapes, move to the kick-ass Beats, and die, repeatedly.
- Umm, it has graphics, Just very very basic ones.
- 677MB Download size.
- Photosensitive mode.
- Steam achievements.
- Controller support.
- Three modes- Story, Party mode, and challenge.
- Casual mode- Gives you more health.
- Multiplayer- Local, public or friends only.
- Controls- Button to restart and a button to dash…that’s it.
- Bullet hell dodge em up gameplay.
- Outstanding soundtrack.
- Avoid bullets, lasers, shapes and more the screen shakes rotates and generally doesn’t help you.
- Checkpoints- Give a bit of health as well as a restart point.
- You play as a cube and when you take damage, Parts of you fall off.
- So much more fun in co-op.
- Drop in/out co-op.
- Steam trading cards.
- Very simple concept.
- Great fun
- Only resolution and fullscreen graphics options.
- No actual tutorial.
- Few levels feel repetitive.
- No scores or leaderboards.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessability - 8/108/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
Fantastic game that mixes up the genre. You hear bullet hell and you expect to do some dodging and shooting but here you get no guns, It is all about the dodge here. Sounds a bit plain and maybe uneventful but trust me it is far from it. The screen shakes are a major thing, Playing with friends is tremendous fun and can really put friendships and relationships to the test. Like I say it is very simple but very fun to play and anyone could pick the game up and join in. In short a great couch co-op game with added online play for those friends who are good at games but bad at everything else.