Review: Kart Rider Plus (Android)
Whether it’s chasing glory as a lone racer or rising to the top of the leaderboards as a team, it’s you who will decide your own path. Select from a variety of gameplay modes that will pave your way to victory.
- Console quality cartoon graphics.
- 1.8gb download size.
- Touchscreen controls–two layouts and a custom one.
- Sign in options–Facebook/Google Play/Apple/Guest.
- Opening race tutorial with pop-ups. Then it takes you into certain modes and menus.
- Repair game options-Clear cache/auto repair/upload logs.
- Five modes-speed race/Arcade/Ranked/Time Trial/story mode.
- Can save race results.
- A smart helmet is applied to use like an assisted thing. You can have protection rings, arrow showing direction, drift zone, etc.
- Graphics-High FPS/Quality preset/HD textures/power saving/motion blur/rear view/lighting effects.
- Daily quests and rewards.
- Voiced animated cutscenes.
- Property-you have a house and garden area you can upgrade, customize, invite friends over, park cars to show off, and play mini-games.
- Can watch top player replays.
- Licence tests-do a set amount of tasks and earn a license to unlock higher race types.
- Features/events unlock as you level up.
- Earn EXP level up and earn cars/events/modes etc.
- Story mode-each race has tasks with one required and the rest optional.
- Arcade-team/solo variations of the race types-item/replay/infinite boost/lucci runner race.
- Badges-earn them and wear one for buffs.
- Fast loading times.
- Many customizable options and the game feeds this with many items to buy, share, and edit.
- Mentorship-hire or become a mentor to help other players.
- Season pass-both free and paid-for tiers with rewards.
- Pet-can upgrades them and gets buffs for races.
- Club-works like a clan and has club events, own set of tasks, and rewards.
- Potential-spend in-game gold on improving your stats and abilities.
- Racing-you needs to learn about drifting as that’s the main part of the game.
- Characters that are ready to jump straight into a kid’s TV show.
- Many seasonal events and community events.
- The ranked mode has team and solo variations.
- Happy bouncy soundtrack.
- Good levels with some having secret routes.
- Plays like Mario Kart.
- Training area where you can look at how to do moves and tricks.
- A lot of currency to learn as it feels like every upgrade has its own currency.
- The initial learning curve with the controls.
- A lot of flashing menus and notifications especially early on its very overwhelming.
- Forced into matches initially so if you needed to change graphics for example this wouldn’t be possible until after.
- The text doesn’t always line up or overlaps each other.
- No Google Play achievements.
- A lot of in-app purchases for all the currency types, season passes, etc.
- Ranked is at certain times and not times convenient for our timezone.
- Cannot shoot items behind us.
- Cannot look behind.
- Daily login refresh again is not set to our time zone per se.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 6/106/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 7/107/10
OK so initially the game hit me hard and I loved jumping into races, leveling up, and doing the many many events that are going on. The game runs really well on our Galaxy S9 plus, power-saving actually seems to work and the controls whilst fiddly at first are actually well placed. My entertainment did start to wain though as more and more parts of the game wanted real-world cash, races became a lot more unstable and predictable, results honestly don’t matter that much in both ranked and unranked play, they lean heavily into customisation but have most of it locked away with either real money or high progression requirements. For kids, they will love the cast of characters and how easy it is to play but other older gamers will see everything it has to offer in mere hours, coincidently this is also the amount of time it will take to decide if you want to plow money into it, The season pass is not that good and is actually quite stingy with its rewards. In short it’s a fun few hours but then it just trails off into giving me money.