Review: LA Cops (PS4)
LA Cops is a fast, action packed 3D top down shooter, set in the seedy underbelly of 1970’s LA where you control a maverick bunch of cops, playing by their own rules.
- Cool crisp graphics.
- Tactical shooter gameplay.
- Tutorial section.
- Classic 70s cop drama atmosphere.
- Full Platinum trophy.
- Online leaderboards with friends and level filter.
- Fast loading times.
- 8 Story missions with a handful of bonus missions.
- Three difficuly options: Normal, Hardcore and Nightmare.
- Six characters to choose from.
- Earn exp to level up stats and buy new weapons.
- Replay levels.
- Excellent voice work.
- Simple controls.
- Subtitles on/off.
- Performance grade at level complete awarded for kills, accuracy, arrests, damage,level restarts, deaths and civilian deaths.
- Levels have a timer.
- AI partner who you can order about to do things like flank, cover you or distract.
- Can swap between yourself and your partner whenever.
- Slick fast action.
- Can pan camera around and zoom in and out.
- Clear UI.
- Mini map on/off.
- Can revive/heal partner.
- Ammo pick ups in game.
- Loading screens have hints.
- Handful of mission variations like kill all enemies or hostage negotiation.
- No free look.
- Restart a level isnt a fresh start and penalises you.
- Cannot preview weapons or even get a description.
- No DS4 touches.
- Parts of the HUD can hinder your view.
- Cannot re bind controls.
- Directing your AI partner is fiddly and restricting.
- Cannot do upgrades in between levels unless you quit out.
- Quite a short game.
In Summary, LA Cops is a good idea and looks excellent. The levels can be fun to play and require a certain degree of planning, Thast said it is a short lived experience as you dont have much motivation to do the higher tier difficulties apart from trophy chasing. The controls are simple yet the AI controls are fiddly and not ideal, Implementing them on the touch pad could of been an absolute game changer. In short its a fun game but is over way to fast.