Review: Metal Wolf Chaos XD (PlayStation 4)
Metal Wolf Chaos XD is a modernized re-release of FromSoftware’s 2004 mech shooter with upgraded visual fidelity, refined controls, and gameplay, a new save system, and 4K + 16:9 support for modern displays.
- Awesome graphics.
- 8.37gb download size.
- Five HUD layouts.
- Eight control schemes.
- Sensitivity sliders.
- Online leaderboards.
- 3 save slots.
- Platinum trophy.
- Cheese arcade atmosphere.
- Full voice work that screams late 90s arcade game.
- 3rd person Mech shooter action game.
- End of level breakdown complete with rank.
- Garage(in between missions)-change BGM, view 3d models of encountered enemies/items, save, fund weapon research, stats, develop new weaponry and change loadout.
- Can replay missions.
- Earn cash by finishing levels.
- Ammo/health drops in-game.
- Guilty pleasure.
- Find crafting materials and guns in the level.
- Can destroy parts of the level like cars tanks and crates.
- Cutscenes are absurdly brilliant.
- You play as the President of the United States in a Mech suit!
- Rescue prisoners by breaking open the cages.
- Mission types and boss battles.
- No proper tutorial.
- Difficulty spikes.
- Confusing UI with a lot of bars and numbers.
- Never quite sure what’s going on.
- Nothing is explained.
- No checkpoints.
- Navigating the level can be hard.
- A few instances of levels going on too long.
Back in the 90s, you used to get these games that were not always the prettiest or the most engaging but the high level of cheese and over the top b movie voice acting made it a darling, Metal Wolf Chaos XD is this! It is about you the president of the United States running around in a Mech suit and taking back America. The voices are insane, the story is whacky and the action is non stop, its just biblical levels of amazing wtf gaming. Yes, it controls awkwardly, I stare at bars and numbers never knowing what they mean, the game kicks my ass but you come back because it harks back to a much different gaming world, a time where this shit was the norm. God bless Metal Wolf Chaos XD!