Review: Nyan Cat: Lost in Space (Nintendo Switch)
Nyan Cat: Lost in Space allows you to take flight as the most celebrated rainbow-propelled cat in internet history. Guide Nyan Cat through infinite space avoiding evil cosmic horrors, such as space dogs, while collecting intergalactic sweets.
- Cartoon pixel style graphics.
- 209mb download size.
- Runner gameplay.
- Online leaderboards.
- Gameplay-jump between platforms and collect items, game over when hit by dynamite or fall off the level.
- Milk item-increases multiplier.
- Package item-collect to build the bar and get a much-needed warp.
- Coins-used to buy new character skins.
- Jigsaw pieces-collect to unlock comic strips.
- Special effects and pickups at a level like a magnet, speed or flying.
- Level randomizes every game.
- Fast loading.
- 80 plus character skins to unlock with a lot of parody and familiar skins.
- Easy to learn.
- No tutorial.
- Can’t see the controls.
- Repetitive gameplay.
- Clunky menu.
- No real skill level.
- No touchscreen support.
- Only one control layout.
- No explanation of items.
- Comics are very simple.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 6/106/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 6/106/10
- Fun Factor - 6/106/10
Nyan Cat is a new runner game, you play as the cat and are constantly moving forward, all you have to do is jump between platforms and collect items whilst avoiding obstacles and falling off the level. Levels randomize every time and it does have a leaderboard. My issues with the game are that it is a one-note game with the same gameplay loop over and over, the skins are funny but not a big deal and the comics are such a small thing. It’s simple to play and anyone can jump in which is handy as the game provides no tutorial or guidance in any way! For me it’s just OK, nothing groundbreaking or particularly memorable but if you want a mindless runner, it has loads to pick up and do.