Review: Pixel Action Heroes (Nintendo Switch)
Play as an iconic physics-based action hero from the movies in a fully destructible block building world. Here is our Pixel Action Heroes review.
- Blocky pixel graphics. (Think Minecraft)
- 170MB Download size.
- First person shooter gameplay.
- Touchscreen support.
- Full stats screen for both online and offline.
- Singleplayer- Creative, Practice, and Zombie.
- 15 Characters which are parodies of celebrities.
- 5 Custom character slots.
- Creative mode- Map/skin/cube editors. Can share maps and skins online.
- Practice mode- Deathmatch, 9 maps, Bot difficulty and lives slider.
- Zombie mode- Singleplayer, Wave based survival. 5 maps initially with 2 to unlock. Guns/ armor and health drop randomly in levels. Boss waves.
- Day/Night option.
- Multiplayer- Select region, server search, host or join randomly. Host options include 4 modes- soccer, deathmatch, team deathmatch and creative, Supports 2-6 players and you can set a time limit. Shows ping in every mp menu.
- Online leaderboards with filters.
- Online rank based on EXP earned.
- Settings- invert axis, sensitivity sliders, auto jump and gyro controls.
- Rebind controls.
- Skin packs- Classic or enhanced.
- Wide selection of guns from FAMAS to Desert Eagle to Rocket launchers and AK47 or snipers and shotguns.
- Destructible environments, You have a shovel all the time.
- Fun to play.
- A lot of replayability.
- Many types of Zombies and bosses.
- Great sound effects.
- Each character says their classic catchphrases.
- In creative mode, you can fly.
- Cheap price point.
- Weapons take ages to reload.
- Sharing creations use a long code you need to share.
- No tutorial.
- Hard to make out what weapons are what on the pickup spots.
- Very basic levels especially in Zombie mode.
- Slow paced in Zombie mode.
- E-Manual is a pain to use.
- Levels are small.
- Takes ages to unlock extra maps in Zombie. Must clear default maps up to level 20 on each then level 40 after that.
- No local MP.
- Zombie mode has no co-op.
- Characters repeat their catchphrases a lot!
- Lacks attack animations.
- Breaking blocks are very slow.
- Little destruction in Zombie mode.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessability - 7/107/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
Ok so the game looks like a straight up Minecraft deathmatch game, For a large part, it is but you do get a lot of guns and destruction for your money! I was surprised by all the editors and modes in this small game. I wish you could share creations easier and have a way to view other peoples work. One thing to note is the game is very basic but its the creative modes that will keep you coming back, That said I do enjoy a few Zombie waves from time to time or a few deathmatch games against bots. Online is really good fun and one that definitely keeps you wanting more. In short for what little money you pay you to get a lot of fun in a small game and is definitely worth checking out even for novelty.