Review: Pure Hold’em (PS4)
Step onto the casino floor, where playing big could mean winning big. Split across 6 different tables, each requiring more skill and determination than the last, Pure Hold’em brings all the excitement of the high stakes casino to the convenience of your couch.
- Graphics are great with proper detailed enviroment and chip set. (Its hard to make cards and chips sound pixel sexy)
- 1GB download size.
- Best use of DS4 touchpad ever in a PS4 game. You can look at your cards and seperate them all by sliding your finger over the touch pad. I mean it sounds boring now but you wait.
- Opening optional tutorial that is split into two areas: Rules and betting.
- Customise your playing cards, chip set, cloth design and cloth colour.
- Multiple music genres to listen too. Hip Hop,Funk, Jazz,Electronic, Blues,Big band or randomise it up.
- Can post to FaceBook.
- Offline mode: Tournaments against AI.
- Open Table: Join or host an online table.
- Private table: Invite friends to a private game.
- Practice table.
- Online tournaments against other players.
- Tournaments come in 6 flavours and have different buy in and blind amounts. Start off with no buy in and work your way up to the big leagues.
- Full online leaderboard support with friends only filter.
- Clean UI with button displays on screen at all time.
- High/Low daily mini game. Earn bonus credits by guessing correctly or bank it if you get scared.
- 15 trophies.
- Hand guide available from start menu.
- Camera can be controlled and has two views, Up close or far away. You can also move it around to look at other players and even read a bio on them.
- Slow motion last card reveal mechanic.
- Accesible game, Even people who cannot play Poker can with this easy to understand game.
- Can change music genre on the fly at the table.
- Helpful hints on the loading screens.
- Earn exp and level up to earn bonus credits.
- IAP for extra credits.
- Only one venue from what I played.
- No local play.
- No real difficulty choice selector.
- AI can be dam right cheap.
- No platinum trophy.
- Only a handful of custimisation options.
Man I did not know how to play Poker properly before this game. I mean I watched it on late night TV back in the 90s and found it fascinating but when it came to me I was more a snap kind of guy. Luckily for me this is a Poker game that explains the rules very clearly and makes playing at the table accessible. Im no poker star by any stretch but I am able to hold my own and bluff my way to victory. The level of detail is top class with you actually been able to learn AI characters traits and tell tale signs. The high/Low mini game is good fun all though it needs more Bruce Forsyth but this will do. I enjoyed and will continue to enjoy the definitive poker game. I look forward to bluffing at your table soon!