Review: Redeemer Enhanced Edition (PlayStation 4)
Play as Vasily, an elite operative who once worked for one of the biggest arms industry corporations in the world. Officially working in security, you were tasked with infiltration, assassination, extortion and even torture. When eventually the corporation decided to get rid of you, you manage to narrowly escape to a secluded monastery deep in the snowy mountains.
- Nice hand drawn/cel-shaded graphics.
- 2.21gb download size.
- 18 trophies.
- Action RPG gameplay.
- Two-player co-op support.
- Initial tutorial.
- Graphic options-AA quality, post-processing, shadows, depth of field, motion blur, chromatic aberration.
- 3 difficulties-easy, normal and hardcore.
- Top-down view.
- Visceral melee combat sprinkled delicately with ranged gunplay.
- Actions-punch, kick, roll, parry and shoot.
- A lot of environmental interactions for unique executions.
- Boss fights.
- 15 chapters.
- Cel shaded drawings used for the cutscenes.
- Find tablets and manuscripts in the world, collect enough to buy upgrades for your character.
- Arena mode-unlock arenas by playing the story. This is a wave-based mode with a boss at the end.
- Easy to learn controls.
- Stealth kills and executions.
- Weapons can be found everywhere and trigger unique kills and executions. They have limited uses and can be picked up and dropped quickly and easily.
- Able to pan the camera around.
- Play how you want thanks to the stealth mechanic or Rambo style melee system.
- Load out-at any one time you can hold one melee and one ranged weapon.
- Executions are done in slow-mo and the camera zoomed in.
- Quite a good stress reliever!
- Loads of slowdown.
- Not all of the slow-mo animations line up.
- The game has actually frozen in place a few times.
- Arena mode is very unrewarding.
- No leaderboard support.
- Very repetitive.
- Straight up button masher.
- No real combo counter.
- The same set of enemies over and over.
- No platinum trophy.
- Enemies can hit you through walls.
- Bullet sponge heavy enemies.
- Sometimes the action will lock the camera causing a lot of issues not to mention looking bad.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 7/107/10
Unrelenting action, Redeemer is one of those games where you feel every punch, every kick and every ax to the head, it is just such a visceral assault on your senses. The story not so much but being able to pick up any weapon and just twat em with it is awesome, guns are in the game but are just not as fun or common. I liked all the areas of the map where you could use the scenery for a Mortal Kombat style execution or mash X to stomp on an enemies head. But once the blood lust subsides and it turns into a mindless button masher, it all starts to just feel the same. Yeah, level locations are varied and that but who cares if it’s always the same enemies, the same fights. Arena mode is a simple as it gets wave survival gimmick with no rewards leaderboards or to be Frank, point to it all. For a one time run through to just say you tried it fair enough but anyone looking for longevity or replayability will be disappointed.