Review: Redout (Steam)
Redout is a love letter to arcade racers of old like Wipeout and Rollcage. It is designed to be an uncompromising, fast, tough and satisfying driving experience, soaked in that vertigo that stands at the core of the arcade racing genre.
- Graphics are really good, It doesn’t matter how fast you are moving, The scenery and attention to detail is so well done.
- 5.5GB download size.
- Full controller support.
- Three controller presets-Redout, Classic and Arcade. Classic is the default preset for Wipeout.
- VR compatible.
- Graphic options: AA, Post process, Shadow/textures/effects quality, View distance and V-Sync.
- Max FPS 30,60,90,144,165 and 200.
- Game modes: Career, Quick race and online.
- Six racing teams with four classes of ship. Each class is an increase in speed.
- Cool voice over in game and in menu. Everything gets a short explanation.
- Steam achievements.
- Tight controls. You have to master tilting your ship as much as controlling it. Lean into corners, Nose dive to gain speed. Its a initilly hard to master technique but feels like a real advancement in the genre.
- Four camera views: Far, Close, Bonnet and bumper.
- Brilliant soundtrack covering drum and bass, Techno and more.
- Loading screen gives tips.
- Fast loading screens so read the tips fast!
- Career- Earn exp and cash in races and buy upgrades for your ship that can add power ups. You can also buy new ships. The power ups really change the game with items like faster top speed, Better shields etc. You can freely swap out power ups between races.
- You can replay levels at any time.
- Take contracts: Complete the contract to earn bonus exp and cash.
- Can change ship colour.
- Online has a solid connection rate.
- Easy to pick up and play apart from the tilting and leaning.
- No set resolution option instead its just a slider with a percentage bar
- Steep learning curves for some of the controls.
- No tutorial.
- No way to turn the tilt/lean/pivot mechanic off.
- Contracts seem random as to when they pop up.
- The game is hard at first.
- AI are brutally violent and always seem to have the upper hand.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessability - 7/107/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Redout is this gens Wipeout/Rollcage. The blistering speed is just well blistering. The love that has gone into this really shows and I mean they even put a control preset that directly mimics the default Wipeout layout. Man this game is so much fun to play. It has a tilt mechanic that takes some getting used too but once you do it makes the game feel like an updated Wipeout rather than a fan made clone. The graphics look incredible even at break neck speed. This is a true love letter to racing games of old and gives it a facelift and some botox and just lets rip. Well worth playing by any players book.