Review: Reverie (PlayStation 4 And PlayStation Vita)
Reverie is an action adventure game set on a fictional island in New Zealand, inspired by the legend of Maui and the Giant Fish where the demigod himself fishes up the North Island with a powerful fishhook.
- Beautiful modern pixel graphics.
- Download size: PlayStation 4-166.4MB and PlayStation Vita-243MB.
- Platinum trophy.
- HUD- turn on or off or have it set to dynamic.
- Touchscreen support for the Vita.
- Three save slots.
- Save when you want.
- Enchanting soundtrack.
- Earthbound love letter.
- Can play using analog or d-pad.
- Dungeons- Done in a top-down fashion like Zelda LTTP or Binding of Isaac.
- Simple controls- On screen button icons.
- Plays and feels like a Zelda game.
- Can play a game in the arcade which is a take on a classic retro game. #Nospoilers.
- The world is full of interesting characters.
- Collectibles- Feathers.
- Weapons/items are gathered as you play.
- Charming little game.
- A nice chilled adventure game.
- Rewarding gameplay.
- Big boss battles.
- Coins- Currency used for the shop.
- Combat is easy to do.
- Memorable locations.
- Unlock additional mini-games.
- Light clever puzzle implementation.
- Opening and ongoing tutorial support.
- Huge world.
- Play how you want.
- Simple to pick up and play.
- Only one control layout.
- No boss health showed.
- A fair amount of fetch quests.
- Some dungeons feel way too long.
- A lot of backtracking.
- Coins max out.
- A little on the easy side.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessability - 8/108/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
Serving as a love letter to RPG games of the past like Zelda and Earthbound, Reverie does not deserve the handle of a clone or copycat as it has enough charm and depth to stand alongside the games it uses as inspiration. Its only real crime is its a tad easy and for that you can fire through it fairly quickly. Away from that, you get an RPG that is both fun to play and engaging and peaceful upon the eyes, I mean it looks beautiful and maintains the bright glow throughout. A game for gamers by gamers.