Review: Riptide GP: Renegade (Win 10/Xbox One)
Riptide GP: Renegade drops players into a futuristic world of illicit hydro jet racing, where armored riders kick out death-defying stunts over massive waterfalls, outrun cops, and boost at breakneck speeds across surging waves.
- Gorgeous graphics. From the detailed racers to the stunning areas you get to race on, Waterfalls to storms to lovely sunny beaches.
- 1000 Gamerscore.
- Supports keyboard and controller.
- Opening tutorial that can be replayed from the menu at any time.
- Graphic optimization test at start up.
- Three difficulties: Easy, Standard and hard.
- Can re bind every button and stick on the controller.
- Full stats breakdown section.
- Five game modes- Career, Challenge, Quick race, Online and split screen.
- Full online leaderboard support.
- Can customize your ride colour,Decal and race number.
- Unlock decals by winning races.
- Pre race fly overs.
- Easy to learn controls.
- Arcade jet ski racer gameplay.
- Perform stunts to fill your boost bar.
- Tricks are performed with the two sticks.
- Banging techno soundtrack.
- Very much a pick up and play title.
- Earn EXP to level up and earn skill points and cash.
- Skill points unlock new stunts or abilities and buffs.
- Clear easy to read UI.
- Earn stars to unlock new races in career mode.
- Fast loading times.
- Different race events from standard race to elimination or freestyle events.
- Fast crash recovery reset.
- Boss races and once beaten you unlock a new jet ski and rider model.
- Unlock bonus race series which are harder optional races with greater rewards.
- Weather and level effects like thunderstorms or rockets shaking the screen or warring battle cruisers, It all looks so good and adds to the atmosphere.
- Mouse cursor doesn’t disappear on Win 10 version when using controller.
- No quit to desktop.
- AI can be cheap especially on harder difficulties.
- Early career races are the same set of tracks over and over.
- Cannot earn boost when boosting.
- Achievements have a delay upon popping.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessability - 9/109/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Riptide GP: Renegade is fast becoming the defacto name for jet ski racing games and all this entry does is prove why. The races are big and full of action, The upgrade and skill point tree is vast and with more tricks than Tony Hawks, There really is a lot beneath the hood. It’s easy to pick up and play and covers all aspects of competitive gaming you would need from solo to online to split screen or leader board chasing. Vector Unit have upped the ante and produced a polished fun to play racer.