Review: Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn (PlayStation 4)
The world lies on the brink of disaster. National treasures of celebrity culture reveal their true faces — demons, sent to destroy our world. As humanity is enslaved, only one man can save us: Shaq Fei Hung. A poor Chinese orphan, trained by a martial arts master, must face his destiny and unleash the power of the sacred Gold Bond. Our hero must leave the safety of his small village home in rural China and travel to the most sordid and perilous corners of the West to fight evil on its home turf.
- Cartoon graphics.
- 9.24GB Download size.
- 21 Trophies.
- Three difficulties- Easy, Normal and hard.
- Opening tutorial.
- Hilarious title soundtrack.
- Animated cartoon cutscenes.
- Side scroller beat em up gameplay.
- Voiced by Shaq.
- Nice 3D backdrops.
- Selection of combos and throws.
- Can pick up weapons like street signs and barrels.
- Hit people into the screen.
- Combo counter.
- Collect spheres for health and power up your special moves.
- Coins improve your score.
- Enemy health bars.
- Slow-mo kills can trigger.
- End of level score breakdown.
- Shaq diesel- a Powerful suit that allows you to punch fast but heats up meaning you have to cool it by releasing the pressure.
- Shacktus- Become a cactus and you can shoot needles at people.
- Boss fights.
- Comical moveset like a size 22 shoe stomping on people.
- Shaq o pedia- Can rewatch cutscenes, read up on encountered enemies here.
- Easy trophy list.
- Only one control layout,
- Cheesy dialogue.
- Combat is tedious and slow, You are glued to the spot when doing any attacks which don’t quite work in the game.
- Hard to hit breakables.
- Breakables can look close enough but are in fact out of the play zone.
- No ID on the health bars its just random bars appearing.
- Slow mo is so random it sometimes doesn’t work right.
- Long load times.
- Weird stutter just before a cutscene.
- Boring boss fights that always land up resorting to “Just spawn more enemies”.
- Same level design over and over. Every other screen is a sequence where you fight off a couple of waves of enemies, Then rinse repeat and sometimes they will chuck in an event like turn a wheel in between waves. It is just so obvious and boring.
- Enemies all act the same but reskinned.
- Gimmicks from other games show horned in like a Guitar Hero/Rythm action mini-game in a boss fight.
- Broken slo-mo camera angles, Sometimes missing all the action entirely.
- Offscreen attacks.
- Combo meter feels pointless.
- Weapons will respawn quickly and are so overpowered you can demolish the difficulty settings.
- So repetitive.
- Lose any equipped weapon when entering a cutscene or being introduced to a new character type.
- Weird hitboxes on enemies.
- Full game lock up.
- Broken Boss fights where you can actually put them out of bounds.
- Only single player.
- One and done no replay value outside of trophies.
- Difficulty matters not and the harder ones just have enemies hitting harder.
- Lacks any real variety.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 6/106/10
- Accessability - 6/106/10
- Length - 4/104/10
- Fun Factor - 6/106/10
Here we go, Ok I am not giving it a low score for shock value or because the first game was umm ok. I did it because it deserves it, I mean I had to full on stop playing the game because one boss fight kept glitching out and putting the boss outside where I couldn’t hit it. I mean how many times can you hit restart checkpoint before you are like “Pfft forget you”. Well, I found my breaking point and it was 14 times. Moving on the game throws constant one-liners and crappy jokes at you, Few are aimed at Kickstarter and other pop cultures. It is just an idea that does one thing and does it over and over until you break or the game breaks. I actively dislike the game, The game clearly hates me so we will agree to just be nice to each other in the street but we will not be going for a drink anytime soon. I may get round to uploading clips of the glitches to our Youtube channel soon. Ok so really it boils down to this, It does the same thing over and over but the little quirks like power suits and abilities add a bit of goofiness to the proceedings, It’s a game that can break in places but also make you laugh in others.