Review: Soul Calibur 2 HD
SOULCALIBUR II HD Online reimagines the beloved title by adding online multiplayer support to the title as well as vibrant updated graphics to take advantage of modern high definition TVs. For the first time ever, players will be able to square off against opponents from around the world with their favorite SOULCALIBUR II characters
- Crisp HD graphics that look really good, Detailed and look just as you imagined them from back in the day. Weapons look incredible with the lighting of the weapons slices,crushing hits look proper brilliant.
- Controls have a nice layout, Which can be changed as and when you like.
- The game has a Platinum trophy if thats your thing.
- Tutorial at the begininng explains how to do all the basic moves,combos and important tips such as guard breaking and charge attacks.
- Arcade mode where you play against a handful of characters and unlock their story. Finishing the arcade mode does yield unlocks within the gallery and museum.
- Weapon Master is the bulk of the game. Turning the game into an adventure game, Players will fight in various battle conditions like low health start or defeat an enemy by ring outs only. They get harder as you go. Earn exp and cash which is used to buy new items and weapons to buff your stats.
- Unlockable content is plentiful, Whilst the majority of it is unlocked while playing weapon master mode, Playing arcade, survival and online does earn unlocks.
- The game loads very quickly and jumps from round to round in no time.
- Money and exp earned is spread over all modes which is a nice addition.
- Online is quick and easy to setup, From the handful of
lossesmatches that I had online the connection was solid. No lag and played just as good as offline.
- Mueseum is much like your trophy cabinet, Here you can view unlocked stories,weapons and even stages. Go into a bit more and read up on all the history on your selection.
- Original OST and voices seem to have been used which is great news for returning players.
- The game plays as a 2D fighter but has 3D movement such as the ability to walk/run around your opponent. The game is very much a technical fighter for the pros. That said button mashers will still scrape wins and enjoy the game. If all else fails, Go for a ring out victory!
- New character Spawn makes an appearance along with returning players from other franchises such as Heihachi,Yoshimitsu to name but a few.
- Practice arena to help you learn combos, techniques or just mess around.
- Online matchmaking can feel a bit broken in terms of chucking you in against high ranked players.
- The play style of the whole game is different from the more main stream fighter and players may feel a slight learning curve.
- Difficulty spikes are littered throughout the game, Especially in the weapon master mode. Having the ability to buy upgrades helps but may still aggravate players.
In Summary, This is a successful HD remake. Giving players all the graphical prowess of a modern fighter whilst still maintaining its original roots. New players are in for a treat. For what Soul Calibur does great, Is its addition of weapons and ring outs. The roster is huge and as said carries a few heavy hitters from other fighting franchises. The price may seem high but in truth, You are technically get enough or in some cases more content than a disc retail release.