Review: Space Pioneer (Nintendo Switch)
Discover new planets, chart incredible worlds and reveal ancient secrets. Explore strange new worlds with your trusty robot sidekick. Make your way across fantastical planets from the icy tundra to the lush jungles brimming with flora and fauna.
- Cutesy cartoon-like graphics.
- 193mb download size.
- Twin-stick shooter gameplay with RPG elements.
- Opening tutorial levels.
- Own in-game achievements.
- 2-4 local co-op play.
- World map level select.
- New planets that feel and look unique complete with weather effects like rain or snow.
- 3 stars on a level each represent a task to do.
- Challenges-constant optional tasks that grant rewards.
- On-screen arrows for objectives.
- Earn EXP to level up and unlock new characters/weapons/loot.
- Level up your guns and equipment by collecting cards and paying gold.
- Gold-earned in the level from enemies and loot chests.
- Loot chests are rewards for challenges and leveling up etc.
- 3 ability slots and you can assign unlocked abilities here like a turret, speed boost, health, etc.
- Very moreish.
- 3 classes to unlock standard/light/heavy and each has unique stats and features.
- A ton of fun.
- Clear on-screen mission details and timers/progress bars.
- Pleasant soundtrack.
- Ai partner that shoots and collects coins.
- A lot of mission variety like kill everyone to capturing points to escorting.
- Boss encounters along with elite versions of enemies.
- It takes a lot of ideas from Helldivers and is basically a low-level version.
- Enemies respawn.
- No touchscreen support.
- No online play.
- Can’t control the camera.
- Difficulty spikes.
- A lot of times you have to wait for enemies to respawn just to do the tasks or mission and it seems random as to when they respawn.
- Quite a bit of grinding.
- Takes ages to level up the gear.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessibility - 9/109/10
- Length - 9/109/10
- Fun Factor - 10/1010/10
Space Pioneer is one dam fine video game! I instantly fell in love with it, yes I noticed it felt and played like Helldivers but hell I love that game as well! It’s more of a lower level more friendly version of Helldivers with a lot more instant reward and gratification. Challenges keep the replayability up as they endlessly populate, the story is loose but the gameplay is just so moreish. I would just fire it up every spare moment and level up some guns or get new gear, it’s definitely got a loot drop lust going on but it is mild, not Diablo levels out it that way but enough to grab you. For me seriously this is one of the best times I’ve had on my switch in a long time. I tried Co-op and it works well but can get chaotic, I prefer to solo. Overall I highly recommend Space Pioneer and love it immensely.