Review: Spitlings (PlayStation 4)
Frantic Gameplay, Juicy Visuals, Hypnotic Beats: SPITLINGS is a cute but unforgiving Hardcore Arcade Game for 1 – 4 players in which you waggle through a gauntlet of bouncy bubbles.
- Cartoon graphics.
- 794.5mb download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- 3 modes-story, party, and multiplayer for both online and offline play. A fourth mode-editor is coming soon.
- Multiplayer is online or offline only.
- 2-4 player support.
- Comics-unlock and read comics based on the cast of characters.
- Over 60 Spitlings to unlock.
- Opening tutorials and controls are shown on the pause menu.
- Can change the color of the levels with a button press and unlock new colors.
- Fun bouncy soundtrack.
- Gameplay-puzzle shooter where you have to destroy the enemy by spitting at them, you only have limited spit but can pick up spit from the floor and use it again.
- Simple to learn and very pick up and play.
- Puzzle elements to some of the levels.
- Each level is timed.
- At the end of the level, you can rescue a Spitling.
- Navigate around the level by flying (spitting downwards) wading through the liquid and using items and props in the environment like spring pads etc.
- One hit death but quick restarts.
- Autosaves regularly.
- A lot of fun.
- Clever level design.
- Co-op mode is where one player loses a life then all players lose a life and you restart.
- B-side is a new variant of levels where time matters.
- Over 100 levels.
- Excellent comic book style cutscenes.
- Workout for your brain without you realizing it.
- Slight learning curve getting used to the whole limited spit thing.
- Can get so hectic you just want to scream.
- You hate squidgy things.
- No editor mode yet.
- Difficulty spikes.
- Not as fun in single player.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Spitlings is a fun bouncy multiplayer game that delights your eyes as well as your ears. It’s just such a happy game. Initially, it felt like a weird Pixel junk game but after a few levels, you realize it’s just a really clever puzzle game that builds in its madness by the second. You have so many unlocks and modifiers to unlock that it always feels like you have something to aim for. The gameplay is meant to be a puzzle shooter style affair whereby you spit at enemies and clear the screen, but what happens is you inadvertently set off a chain of events that is so hypnotic and funny you always land up forgetting about the actual core gameplay. I couldn’t get enough of the game as every set of levels elevated the game. I say it’s a multiplayer game but the truth is a single player is just fine, it’s a bit slower and not as mental but in no way does it suck or not give you the experience. Spitlings is a game that will have you mesmerized l, laughing and screaming and usually at the same time. For me it’s an easy game to recommend to families or groups of friends, it ticks many boxes and when the editor launches it can only get better, it’s a fantastic party game that will test your mettle.