Review: SpongeBob Squarepants: Planktons Robotic Revenge
Get ready to join your favourite under-the-sea gang in Spongebob Squarepants: Plankton’s Robotic Revenge. In this original story, Bikini Bottom’s very own Sheldon J. Plankton, known for his obsession with stealing the Krusty Krab’s secret formula, has new plans to build a mechanised army, threatening the serene seas of Bikini Bottom. Join SpongeBob and his friends as they stop Plankton’s evil plan and protect the prized Krabby Patty Formula.
- Big bright graphics, Opting against using cartoon graphics, The game uses full 3D graphics. The cut scenes in particular are very nice to look at. In game it works well with trademark animations and mannerisms.
- Full voice work by the cast from the cartoon.
- The story could easily be a proper episode. Plankton gets a army of robots and must track down keys to get to the Krabby Patty Formula.
- One to Four player which is offline only.
- Five characters to choose from: SpongeBob, Patrick, Sandy, Squidward and Mr Krabbs.
- Full platinum trophy list.
- Controls could not be simpler. X is to jump, Triangle to activate super powers, R1 to shoot and L2 and R2 to cycle through gizmos (guns)
- Collect sprocket parts and use them buy/upgrade gizmos.
- Buy gizmos from machines in level or at the end of a level.
- Sprockets get banked when you visit the gizmo machine or you finish the level.
- You can revive players by just standing in the green circle within the time limit.
- You can swap characters at the end of every level.
- Each character has separate unlocks meaning you need to unlock each gun for each character.
- Lose sprockets when you die and do not get revived.
- three worlds to play through with each world having five levels. In short 15 levels to play.
- Each fifth level is a boss battle.
- Gameplay is more a shooter with occasional platforming elements.
- No friendly fire.
- Auto aim is always on.
- Combo moves which are triggered by doing a series of melee attacks.
- Power moves are different for each character and basically grant stronger attacks for a limited time.
- fast loading game in between levels.
- Huge selection of gizmos from standard gun to a tartar sauce, pie gun and many others.
- Find chest which contain Kelp that gives you health.
- Drop in and out co op.
- Short game, Can be done within a few hours.
- Losing all your lives will reset your collected sprockets to zero.
- Repetitive gameplay with every level playing out the same every time. new enemies get introduced later but overall its just the same enemies over and over.
- Despite a huge selection of gizmos, you only need the first gun upgraded and thats it.
- End of game boss whilst easy, uses a lot of annoying cliche mechanics to extend the fight to annoying lengths.
- Last level is longer than any other level and drags the whole way.
- No tutorial or help so even learning revives is a mission to learn.
- Only a handful of secret areas to find.
- The lock on is a bit broken with it not re acting to fast moving enemies or re adjusting to enemies closer to you.
- In co op there is no friendly fire but your partner can block your shots which is just annoying especially in boss fights.
- Trophy chasers will hate all the grinding needed to platinum it.
in Summary, The game is alright. it is aimed squarely at kids and my 8 year old loved evry minute where as I started to fade halfway through. it is just so repetitive and just has a whiff of blatant cash in with little work going into a solid story. We dont get to visit or see any landmarks in game, No cameo appearances, Its all just a little light on content. If you are buying this for kids then job well done they will love you for it. If your buying it for an adult you may get a clip round the ear, Buy it for a trophy chaser and at first they will love you as you get like 12 gold trophies in under a hour. When they then realise you need to grind hours of play to get the rest, They may well hunt youy down for your blood! So in short its worth it for kids and for someone who needs a quick trophy card progress boost, Otherwise its just a repetitive short game with zero replay ability.