Review: Starcraft-Remastered (PC)
StarCraft: Remastered upgrades the essential sci-fi strategy experience from beginning to end. Welcome back to the original game and its award-winning expansion, StarCraft: Brood War.
- Graphics- Well it is upto you. You can have the original graphics or you can go full remastered and have the shiny shiny detailed graphics.
- Options-Game speed, Key scroll speed, Mouse scroll speed.
- APM tracking option.
- Set as fullscreen, Windowed or windowed fullscreen.
- Two modes- Single player and multiplayer.
- Starcraft original and Brood War game types.
- Custom game support.
- Starcraft has three episodes- Terran, Zerg and Protoss.
- Original opening mintro movie.
- Enable a FPS cap. Scale 100-300.
- Full end of level breakdown on performance. Total score, Time played, Units built/killed, Structures and rsources.
- LAN support.
- MP profile needed for each region.
- Can edit hotkeys.
- Can hot swap between new and old graphics at will. Even on cutscenes or in the menu.
- Cracking soundtrack.
- RTS gameplay.
- Still looks really good.
- 13.5GB Download size.
- Self contained game- No Bnet support.
- Tutorial tip pop ups.
- Supports 4K resolution.
- Still a strong compelling story.
- Can play online with people who have the free version.
- Archaic menu structure.
- No keys layout settings.
- Tutorial is bare bones.
- Subtitles dominate the screen.
- Cannot use the escape button for the menu.
- A lot slower pace.
- No achievements.
- Doesnt have any of the now staple mechanics like rally point onto minerals or selecting a bunch of marines in one easy swoop.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessability - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 7/107/10
- Length - 7/107/10
It is always hard to go back, Having shiny graphics make it easier on the eye but the controls remain the same. For that reason Starcraft remastered is quite a shock to the system to play by today’s standard. That is not to say it is not good, It is very good and they have done amazing work with the graphics, Its just if you have played SC2, You will instantly feel held back by the lack of mechanics we now take as common. I would say if you can learn to go back as it were then you really should. The Starcraft story is always a great one and thats no different here. In short it is worth your time but it does show its age mechanically.