Review: Super Destronaut DX (PlayStation 4)
Inspired by an arcade classic, Super Destronaut DX is retro space shooter that pits you against an enemy more dreaded than a UFO, a scoreboard.
- Retro graphics.
- 100.9MB Download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Cross-buy with PlayStation Vita.
- Five modes- Challenges, Classic, Time attack, Hardcore and multiplayer.
- Online leaderboards with mode filters.
- Stats screen showing best score in each mode.
- How to play section. (Text based)
- Gameplay is a take on Space invaders.
- Awesome neon wireframe backdrop.
- Enemies can shoot back, Each type has a unique gun.
- Screen Shake.
- Simple one button controls.
- Decent score chaser.
- Infinite replayability.
- Good fun in multiplayer.
- Easy platinum trophy.
- Nails the retro feel.
- Challenges- 30 of em with each one being tasks like kill 100 enemies or do 3 waves etc. The level ends when you complete the task.
- Catchy chiptune soundtrack.
- Upgrade weapons as you play.
- Can shoot random dead enemies for bonus points.
- Combo counter.
- You get 3 lives (except hardcore) and when you die the game carries on, No stopping or resetting.
- The slight learning curve to how it plays.
- Online leaderboard issues.
- Can be difficult to see the ground-based enemies.
- Very basic.
- Little variation across the modes.
- The whole weapon upgrade thing is a bit off as its just timed power-ups.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessability - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 7/107/10
- Length - 6/106/10
Its space invaders clone ok, But it does play very well and has little variations like enemies shooting back in many ways, Plenty of game modes and full online leaderboard support. What it does struggle with though is how hard it is to see all enemies on screen notably the ones that scroll on the ground level. Its a bummer you cant have more control over your ship[ but its a small cheap nostalgic trip with a easy platinum for you trophy hunters. Anyone can get fun from this and its great fun on the Vita. In short, Cheap, cheerful and full of nostalgia.