Review: Super Frog HD
In 1993 the world witnessed the birth of a new type of super hero. Now, twenty years later, Superfrog is back! But wait! Before you get all gooey-eyed, Superfrog HD isn’t just some quick and easy port of the 16-bit version but with fancy graphics!
- Cartoon style graphics.
- Remastered soundtrack of the original music and some new tunes.
- Full 360 pad support.
- Steam cards support.
- Steam cloud support so you will never lose your save.
- Easy controls with a few new additions such as gliding is now just a case of holding a button.
- rack up high score by collecting coins, fruit any anything else lying around. Collect stop watches to stop the level timer.
- Leaderboard support and can be filtered down to friends only.
- Cartoon style extends to opening/ending still’s. These give you the beginning/ending story.
- Smooth responsive animations. They help keep the cartoon style approach alive.
- Complete levels within a time limit, With remaining time converted to points for your score.
- Find hidden passages/rooms/pick ups. Even shortcuts can be found which help with speed runs.
- Huge open levels with no clear direction, Meaning you can attack the level anyway you want too. No limitations.
- 24 new levels added to an already huge roster of levels.
- All your original levels are are in the game, All re mastered and hard!
- 6 different worlds for you to unlock, Each varying in difficulty and carrying their own unique styles. Go from the forest to snow covered levels to a haunted castle.
- Boss battles will show up at the end of each world, Now for a first I am saying the boss battles are actually fun to play.
- The game has a speed runner mentality about it, You don’t have to have this in your mindset but its good to see a game where it has another level of playing it.
- Endless runner mode is added.
- No level editor as I believe it is a PlayStation exclusive.
- No Project F levels.
- Soda drink only recovers health, In the original it used to add time to your timer.
- No animation in the intro or outro. Could of really set the scene with some good animation work.
- It is playable with a keyboard but is a lot harder to master.
- No “original” graphics mode.
- Price point can seem a bit high to long term fans or for people looking to try Super Frog.
In summary, The game is solid and offers many hours of game play. Going against your typical platformers like Mario or Sonic, Super Frog gives players speed and hidden rooms. For people who like to pick up coins etc then this game has you well covered. Coins are everywhere! For the fans of the original you may feel let down some what by the absence of the project F levels that seen you play on the moon, Or the fact that the music has a different sound to it.New players will get a great platformer that is both fun to play and a pleasure to look at. Mo matter what your opinion is on the matter, At the end of the day everyone can agree that it is good to see a title such as this, Brought back into the modern gaming frame. It may lack the additions that so may HD remakes have but it still has a good stab at it.