Review: Super Hydorah (Nintendo Switch)
Super Hydorah is a nonlinear horizontal shoot’ em-up designed to offer a challenging experience, sublimating the richness of traditional shmup classics.
- Retro 16-Bit style graphics.
- 206MB Download size.
- How to play section- Text based.
- Two control schemes.
- Own in-game achievements.
- CRT monitor effect on/off.
- Two skill levels (Difficulties) Rookie (3 hit shield and half scored points) and Pilot (1 hit shield but full scored points).
- 2D Shmup gameplay.
- Easy to learn.
- Saturday morning kids TV show sounding soundtrack.
- Autosaves between levels.
- Two player support.
- Big boss battles.
- End of level rank and score.
- Pick up upgrades for your gun from enemies.
- Retro atmosphere evoking memories of classic games like R-Type.
- Non-linear level layout with route selection.
- Game over options- Quit or continue by sacrificing your rank/run.
- 21 levels divided into 35 sublevels, 35 bosses and more than 100 enemies.
- World map level select.
- Cool animations.
- Loadout- Unlock and equip new weapons and missiles.
- Two players not supported by split Joycons.
- No online leaderboards.
- Scroll speed of the game is the true enemy, Punishingly slow.
- Death restarts the level.
- The slight slowdown in places.
- Hitting or merely brushing against the scenery hurts you.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessability - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
The immediate thought is one of this looks a lot like R-Type, And it does but once you get in there it sure as hell changes it all up. Levels are big and offer multiple route choices, Powerups drop from enemies and there is a lot of enemy types to keep you on your toes! I found the overall control solid and responsive, Boss battles were massive and varied, Having its own achievements and rank system keep you coming back for more, Two player is fine, Nothing truly amazing but eh its there. The soundtrack for me is the true standout, Sounding like a kids TV show, It is happy and bouncy and full of energy. Basically, if you want a good 2D Shmup then you can’t go far wrong with this.