Review: SuperEpic: The Entertainment War (Nintendo Switch)
SuperEpic is a satirical and humorous Metroidvania style action-adventure game, starring a raccoon and a llama in their quest to save an Orwellian society from the rule of an evil corporation. RegnantCorp is an enterprise which is controlling minds through abusive microtransactions.
- Beautiful modern pixel art graphics.
- 449mb download size.
- 3 save slots.
- Catchy soundtrack.
- Metroidvania gameplay.
- Map-uncovers as you play and rooms of interest are marked.
- Info points-interact with it and it will put points of interest on your map.
- Unlock a roguelike game mode that is separate complete with its own set of save slots.
- Combat-you have 3 weapons for each direction.
- Toilets-save points.
- Game World is an interesting one as you start in a game Dev office then go through a garden place and a mechanical-looking factory.
- Boss encounters.
- Combo counter.
- See enemy health when attacking them.
- Merchants-blacksmith, upgrade, shop. They appear in different places.
- Currency-gold and gems.
- Death-you can choose to respawn at the last save point or lose half your gold and respawn straight back, only once per life.
- Unlock mobile/browser games and one of which is a tapper game whereby you can redeem codes in it to transfer gold to your game.
- Find and scan QR codes.
- Runs really well and at a fast pace.
- Safes-smash open for loot and gold.
- Earn new characters in tapper with game progress.
- Many hidden areas.
- The story is a humorous take on the joy of game Dev and the culture around it.
- Many enemy types.
- Can hit enemies into each other.
- No tutorial.
- Can feel lost at times.
- Difficulty spikes but mostly on bosses.
- A lot of mechanics thrown at you like stamina, health, and rage for other attack types.
- A lot of tedious roadblocks.
- Can play for ages and get very little progress because you didn’t go to one particular room.
- Some enemy attacks are just straight up annoying.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 9/109/10
- Fun Factor - 10/1010/10
SuperEpic is one of those rare games where the name of it is also the best description of the game! It’s a Metroidvania with a lot of games and clever ideas. You ride around on your animal and take on the many enemies whilst enjoying the rich world around you. I was content and happy with how the game opened up, how they handled upgrades and progress then they go and throw in a slew of mini-games and modes including a highly addictive yet plain Jane tapper game! For a while I thought they were just trying to shoehorn in so many ideas and modes that it would lose its identity but yet it really doesn’t and instead shows a masterclass in how to do it from now on. Scanning QR codes and working out passcodes but yet still enjoying the adventure aspect as I go, I could and have not had enough. I am not a fan of boss fights in every area and the fast travel is still a bit archaic in its implementation but I just love the game and to have it on the Switch means it will get all the many hours it needs!