Review: Tangledeep (Nintendo Switch)
For hundreds of years, people have lived in the safety of underground settlements and villages – where the only route to the surface is “Tangledeep,” a mysterious and ever-changing labyrinth. With memories of the surface world long forgotten, you set out for the labyrinth to discover what lies above. With each floor – full of magical beasts, ancient automatons, bizarre environments and hybrid biomes – the mystery grows ever deeper…
- Tangledeep has cutesy pixel graphics.
- 663MB Download size.
- Four save slots.
- Tutorial popups and an optional tutorial cave encounter.
- Options- Text size/speed/scanlines/grids.
- Three modes (game affecting difficulty)- Heroic/Adventure/Hardcore.
- Heroic mode- Death is permanent but you keep town progress and any banked goods for your next run.
- Adventure mode- Death sends you to town and you lose half of all money, EXP and any unspent JP.
- Hardcore- Permadeath and you lose everything.
- 12 total characters.
- 9 Jobs- Brigand/Spellshaper/Edge Thane/Floramanger/Sword Dancer/Soulkeeper/Paladin/Budoka and Hunter.
- Tangledeep has touchscreen support.
- Feats- Add permanent bonuses/attributes. You get to pick two to start.
- Game modifiers (optional)- Extra health/less loot/stronger enemies etc.
- Roguelike RPG gameplay.
- Randomized world seed.
- Movement- Move a set number of squares, Hold down the button to move faster.
- Bank- Pay to save items for future playthroughs. (in-game cash)
- Turn-based combat/movement. Enemies move/attack when you do.
- Map- 3 views- Small/large and large transparent.
- Map unlocks as you discover it.
- Text feed of all actions.
- Recipes for crafting- Quick select options.
- Terrain effects movement/abilities and magic.
- Tangledeep is really stylish.
- Auto-equip better weapons.
- Clear easy to use HUD/UI.
- Tangledeep has a real SNES feel to it all.
- Earn EXP and level up to increase stats and earn JP to get new feats and abilities.
- Secret areas and routes.
- Optional side quests.
- Fast travel.
- Save and quit.
- Pets- capture and tame animals and have them by your side. You can level them up and have them do actions for you.
- Supports d-pad and analog.
- Flasks- Heal and can be refilled at fountains.
- Fast loading.
- Hard to see the treasure.
- A small health bar.
- Slight learning curve.
- Not always clear what to do or what does what.
- Menu navigation can be tricky.
- A lot to take in initially.
- A lot of back and forth.
- The view can easily be obscured.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 9/109/10
- Accessability - 8/108/10
- Length - 9/109/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Tangledeep is such a deep rich rewarding experience. It starts off slow and does have a fair chunk of learning but once you are set free, The world really opens up. Movement looks quirky but is in fact very clever and adds a bit of variety to it all. Tangledeep covers a couple of genres and only die-hard “I need a challenge” gamers will do hardcore, Even outside of that, The game is not going to take it easy on you. It has all the mechanics of a fat JRPG but simplifies it and presents it in such an engaging way, Tangledeep is just so much fun to play and having it on Switch means the addiction can be taken to the next level. In short, Tangledeep is one of the best RPG games on Nintendo Switch.