Review: TerraTech (Steam)
TerraTech is an open-world, sandbox adventure game, where you design and build your own creations through a mix of crafting, combat, and discovery. Explore a hostile alien landscape or design with creative freedom. Here is our Terratech review.
- Decent graphics.
- 914MB Download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Open world vehicle creator and shoot enemies gameplay.
- Controller support.
- Steam workshop support.
- Five modes-Campaign, Creative, R+D test, Sumo, and gauntlet.
- Seed option- Random or manual.
- Save when you want.
- The campaign, Tutorial then mission based.
- Randomized world creators.
- Snap together building system. Will show connectable spots.
- Lego meets Robot Wars vibe.
- Earn EXP, Level up and unlock new blocks/items/weapons.
- A lock-on button for combat.
- Many types of parts all with a need to be used. Batteries can charge your shield, Radar dishes so you have a minimap etc.
- Can build bases.
- Creative mode- Build with no restrictions.
- Sumo- Local play or online. Jump into a ring and basically fight to the death.
- Build beam- Activate to lower or raise your vehicle top make creation easier.
- Blow up enemy vehicles and take their parts.
- The only limit is your imagination.
- When you get blown up in the game you get a choice to respawn as a preset or pay with in-game currency to get your creation back.
- Vast world playground.
- Really easy to get into.
- Button prompts.
- Tooltip when hovering over things.
- Pieces will flash when damaged.
- Ground and air based vehicles.
- Can only use the controller to drive your vehicle, Everything else requires a mouse and keyboard.
- The campaign is fun at first but gets boring with repetitive and unimaginative missions.
- The world feels empty.
- Few performance issues like stuttering and slowdown.
- No co-op campaign option.
- Annoying pop-ups in the game like “Now live”.
- Slow starter.
- Flying is really difficult.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessability - 7/107/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
Lego with guns is the quick way to describe Terratech. The long answer is it is more of a build a massive killer vehicle and roam the lands destroying everything in your path game. The snap building system is what keeps you playing the game for it is so easy to just make something, You don’t have to faff with camera angles and getting the right side on the screen, Just pick up a piece and bosh it is on and ready to go. Like Minecraft however, you will start playing and completely lose yourself, Building masterpiece after masterpiece but you then get burnt out and never return. The selection of game modes does a small bit of good in terms of variety but let’s be honest, You are gonna build a wok off the machine and then either destroy everything or it will get destroyed and you rage uninstall. For the record, I had fun with the game but I got fatigued quickly and unlike games like Besiege, The objectives are almost boring and don’t keep you hanging on.