Review: Tetris 99 (Nintendo Switch)
99 players…but only one will remain! TETRIS 99 is the iconic puzzle game as you’ve never seen it before. Can you pick the right strategy to best 98 other players online* – all at the same time?! Make smart use of Tetris Line Clears, KO the other 98 players and become the sole survivor!
- Tetris graphics.
- 451MB Download size.
- Gameplay- 99 players all play Tetris at the same time and clear lines to send trash to other players and eliminate them. Be the last Tetronimo standing.
- Controls- Left stick allows you to pick an individual to attack and the right stick lets you do one of four presets- Random, K.Os, Badges, and attackers.
- Hold piece in the game.
- Can view the last game stats.
- When you get eliminated you can still watch others play.
- All players are shown on the screen at one time.
- Full stats screen.
- Earn EXP, Level up and unlock a new avatar.
- Options- Hard drop: on/off. Vibration: on/off and choose from 2 control presets.
- Piece queue is shown on screen.
- You can see who attacks you and who you are attacking by the big yellow lines.
- Player count on the HUD.
- Tetris theme remix.
- Good Tetris.
- The game speeds up as you play.
- Pieces are ghost type until dropped.
- No tutorial.
- No touchscreen support.
- Uses the D-Pad only.
- Only one mode.
- Needs the Nintendo online pass.
- Leveling up is unrewarding.
- No customization settings.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessability - 9/109/10
- Length - 9/109/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Tetris 99 follows in the footsteps of Tetris Effect and takes the Tetris formula and T spins it on its head. Here we get a Battle Royale version of Tetris and saying it out loud makes it sound like a ridiculous idea and cheap cash in. In practice, you get a solid well-executed game type that has you wondering why it has never been in the game series before. Ok Ok so calling it a Battle Royale can be seen as contentious as it is just a glorified last gamer standing game mode. To me adding the Battle Royale tag merely states that but also that it is done on a large scale like when people say MMO in large scaled games. Tetris 99 is easy to grasp and the tactics and possibilities are endless, Controls are a bit of a sticking point for some. The standard Switch d-pad really lets it done as it is just not a good d-pad. Get a decent one and you have the proper Tetris feel going on. Ye sit only has one mode but we are promised special events so you never know what is going to happen. More customization would be cool if only to give you something to work towards or a nice bit of eye candy. All being said though, For a first iteration the game is solid and packs a serious punch, Again demonstrating if you put the time in then release it in a blink of an eye, The gamers will come. Here is to innovation and fun, This is Tetris 99!