Review: Tetris Royale (Android)
It was all leading up to this. All those years of stacking Tetriminos, puzzle solving and setting up Tetris Line Clears are put to the test in Tetris Royale. Prove that you have the heart of a Tetris Grand Master by competing in 100 player Royale matches. Or hone your Tetris skills in Solo Marathon mode. Do you have what it takes to survive against the endless flow of Tetriminos? Only one puzzler can be the last player standing.
- Colorful graphics.
- 138MB Download size.
- Tutorial videos covering Royale mode, Skyline, Hard dropping, Lockdown, Highlights, and T-Spins.
- Leaderboards that show today’s standings and previous tournaments.
- Two modes- Royale and solo.
- Five themes- Neon future, Toys, Shooting stars, 8-Bit (Gameboy) and Monstars.
- Touch sensitivity slider.
- Solo- Practice mode more than anything, It shows your score and level.
- Royale- 100 players, Top scorers show at the top, Current game speed level and notifications of eliminations.
- Controls- Swipe left and right, Swipe down for hard drop, Swipe up for hold and tap screen to rotate
- Classic soundtrack we all know and love.
- Pop-ups of moves like t-spin and back to back.
- End of tournament breakdown showing score and level.
- Next in the queue is there.
- Controls are not good and cannot be changed.
- Royale is isolated, No interactions with other players except names on a bar at the top. I mean you can pause it!
- Tutorial videos are the main screen and play on loop indefinitely. You can mute them but still.
- No sense of reward or accomplishment.
- No attacks like in Tetris 99. (Worth noting)
- No Google play integration.
- No profile customization.
- Pulling off moves like t-spin is now a feat of determination.
- Graphics - 5/105/10
- Sound - 6/106/10
- Accessibility - 5/105/10
- Length - 4/104/10
- Fun Factor - 4/104/10
The only reason the score isn’t lower is the ever-brilliant soundtrack just barely keeps its head above water. That is where the true Tetris ends and the worst Tetris begins. I get it, It is a mobile game so naturally, it will be touchscreen but I cannot for the life of me accept that this is the best way to have it all set up. Moves are nigh on impossible, Swipes are not ideal for everyone and rotating is just a pain as is holding. Now for the modes. They bill solo as Marathon mode despite calling it solo, Its just endless and I only used it to test out the controls as the game doesn’t tell you what the actual controls are, Oh no, They tell you t-spins and hard dropping but neglect to tell you how to play the actual game with the new control scheme! Royale mode now takes the title as making a 100 player online battle royale game the most isolated lonely experience ever. You get a bar at the top that shows the current top scorers and pop-ups of people blocking out (being eliminated) but anyone looking will see just you playing a bland no-frills Tetris with names on it. It doesn’t have any unique modes or mechanics, Tetris 99 on Switch shows you how to do a battle royale Tetris and anyone expecting this to be a mobile version of that is in for one hell of a shock. Tetris Royale…Not worth your time or phone storage.