Review: Tetris Ultimate (PS4)
In this fast-paced game of skills, you can take on the puzzle game solo, battle a friend, partner up with friends, or make battle teams. Up to four players can get in on the action.
- Classic Tetris graphics that we all know and love.
- U play integration. Earn Uplay points/achievements to unlock new content and soundtracks for the PC.
- Full online leaderboard support.
- Detailed options menu. You can change options like button delays, classic or remixed rules etc.
- Remixed classic Tetris soundtrack.
- Clear big bright interface.
- Activity feed showing actions by you and your friends.
- Detailed breakdown after every game.
- Full stats and award section.
- Local and online play.
- Send challenges.
- Six game modes: Marathon, Sprint, Battle, Ultra and battle ultimate.
- Four game variants: Solo, Vs, Team Vs and Co op.
- Trophy support, Has 12 trophies to unlock.
- Tetris live is used for matchmaking.
- small download size.
- In depth tutorial section. All text based and has information on every aspect of the game.
- Download friend list data so you can play against friends offline.
- Add AI players and set the difficulty in games.
- classic Tetris gameplay.
- No customisation options like block types or backgrounds.
- only a few soundtrack songs.
- No Platinum trophy.
- Have to unlock game modes as not all of them are playable at the start.
- No DS4 specific features.
- In solo the matrix is really small.
- Cannot change options in game which is hard when you are tweaking drop speeds etc.
In Summary, it’s Tetris so you know exactly what you are going to get. the fact this is billed as the ultimate version really bugs me. For I still believe the 360 game released many years ago is still the definitive version. on that you could configure blocks, backgrounds and even music. Here you get just a handful of modes and little to no customisation options. it just feels like a quick cash in on the Tetris name. Gamers should only get this if you are desperate to play some Tetris. Other than that I would say either pass this version over or wait until it goes on sale. In short this is a missed opportunity.