Review: The Grand Tour Game (PlayStation 4)
The Grand Tour Game is an episodic racing game from Amazon Games based on the hit Prime Original series, The Grand Tour. Featuring seamless transitions from clips of the show to gameplay, plus original voice acting from the three hosts, The Grand Tour Game is infused with the show’s trademark humor and irreverence.
- Decent graphics.
- Driving gameplay.
- 15.39GB Download size.
- Platinum trophy set then additional trophy sets for each episode.
- Driving records- Stats screen.
- Weekly episodes added as the TV show gets updated and new event types and gadgets get added.
- Gimmick- You watch a part of the TV show then it seamlessly goes into the driving part in the game and you take over.
- Progress bar- You can fast forward and rewind the TV show.
- Well presented.
- Scene select or start the episode from the begininng.
- Different event types- Races, Hot laps, Drag racing, Drifting, Making noise etc.
- Can instantly retry events.
- Splitscreen support 2-4 players and supports 2 game modes- Faceoff and Grand Prix.
- Multiplayer Grand Prix and Faceoff let you set- Car class/gadgets/AI difficulty and AI vehicles.
- High video quality.
- Gadgets- Powerups and are things like speed boost, oil slick type, and texting.
- Uses all the guy’s voices for when you hit things, use gadgets etc.
- Very easy to get into.
- Only one view. Far away.
- Juddery experience especially noticeable when transitioning from video to video game.
- Same fast forward/rewind quips.
- In game, quips are lower audio quality and can be hard to hear.
- No online play or leaderboards.
- Handling feels stiff, Playable but stiff.
- Gadgets are just usual powerups in games but with a TGT twist.
- No weather types.
- AI can be a bit temperamental.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessability - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
When I first heard about The Grand Tour game and what it was going to consist of, I got flashbacks to games like this back in the day like Max Power the car magazine attempting to enter the games industry. It wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t great either. The Grand Tour game is nothing like Max power and is in a whole new league. For what they have done is such a cool idea, I want to see it more in games and for devs to try different genres. Seamlessly jumping from the show into the game whilst juddery at first, Is so good thanks to detailed graphics and excellent camera work. The actual game part is the weakest part in that it only has one driving view, Gadgets are minimal and kinda boring. But then again it gets a weekly dose of new gadgets cars and locations each time the new events try something new. Its the game that really does keep on giving. I wish it had online and leaderboards and so much more but in all seriousness, For the small amount of cash it takes to buy The Grand Tour, Its worth every penny. In short, the game part is lacking but the concept part is God tier and a real nitrous shot to the driving genre.