Review: Titan Attacks
As the last surviving tank commander on Earth, single-handedly turn back the evil invading alien army, drive back the Titans across the Solar System, and defeat them on their homeworld.
- Retro Pixel graphics with a high definition gloss.
- Bouncy chiptune soundtrack.
- Cross buy, Available on PS3, PS4 and the PlayStation Vita. Buy it on any of these consoles and get the other two for no extra charge!
- A fresh new take on Space Invaders with huge boss battles and leaderboard support.
- Online leaderboards with friend filtering available.
- Small file size for the 3 consoles.
- Controls are simple and suit most players. You can opt to use the shoulder buttons or the the more traditional approach of using the face buttons. Both inputs are active from the get go and you can switch between d pad and sticks at any time.
- Shoot enemies and earn cash for upgrades.
- Some enemies will crash land and killing these will net skill shot bonuses. Another special is the ability to capture alien pilots that fall from their ships. Capturing brings a big bonus but missing them earns a -100 dollar penalty. Killing them is funny…..But yields no points nor any penalties.
- Earn bonus pick ups by shooting the flying saucer looking dudes at the top of the screen. These will prove very valuable as you can get extra cash,shields or a fat weapon to use for a short time.
- Killing enemies in quick succession without getting hit will give you a multiplier bonus, More points mean more cash.
- Vast selection of enemy types that help bring this genre into the new generation of gaming. Enemies may move,shoot,drop bombs, fly all over the screen. It just gets more and more varied and dangerous as you progress.
- Bonus rounds can be earnt and here you will have x amount of ships coming on screen at different times and on different patterns, Shoot them all for a prize and bonus points.
- A roguelike in that you only have one life, You can do upgrades and have the ability to pro long that life in every way. But when your dead your dead and its back to level one with no upgrades for you.
- Once you finish a section of levels and beat the boss, You will go to a new area. This also unlocks a world select section so you can jump straight into the new world. The score and upgrades saved for a new world is a save of your best run on the previous world.
- Shooting will take time to learn as its more of a burst fire mechanic than an all out machine gun. Having the shot type set to this means you will need to plan your shots and take your time with it.
- Upgrades can be bought in between levels and they feature things such as:
- Rapid fire, fire more shots in quick succession.
- Shield so you can take more damage. This will go down as you take damage and will require a re purchase to regenerate.
- Improve shot power so that enemies that might take 2 shots to kill, Will now only take 1.
- Smart bomb, use it to clear the whole screen and again once used, will not regen and you will need to re purchase
- Can save and quit on any level and start back there so it suits quick short bursts of play.
- Really easy to pick up and play.
- No clear cloud save options.
- Never uses a full screen on any console.
- No continues but then it is a roguelike.
- No seperate trophies.
- No filter on PS4 for friends leader board.
- Leaderboards are really basic.
In Summary, A nice little game that will resonate with all types of gamers. With the retro shooter genre getting a HD lick of paint and new enemy types, Gamers have never had it so good. The game is really easy to pick up and play and dare I say, Addictive. Once you start compiling a huge wealth of upgrades, the game just gets better and better. I like the way you have to kind of hedge your bets with the upgrades. Things like do I go for a shield and pray for more money or do I get a smart bomb to cake walk it? If its a boss should I just shield up? Crazy to think that all these questions will soon be the norm and not ones you usually associate with a retro shooter. With it being a triple cross buy title, This is the version to get and well worth the price tag.