Review: Tour De France 2018 (PlayStation 4)
Embody the greatest champions and hit the official track of the Tour de France 2018! Enjoy all the intensity of this legendary race: attack, follow the best trajectories, and carry out the finest racing tactics to lead your team to victory and earn the mythical Yellow Jersey LCL!
- Graphics are detailed and the backdrops in particular are glorious. Riders have every bit of detail, all the way down to the sponsorship on their outfits.
- The tutorial section is broken down into different parts, All completely optional.
- Controls look complicated but are actually not that bad, Triggers are used for cycling and braking. Right bumper is to go into aerodynamic position to gain speed downhill. X button is to cycle faster otherwise known as attacking and Triangle is used to eat/drink your item.
- 27.89GB Download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Six game modes: Race, Pro team, Pro leader, Challenge, Training, and editor.
- Can edit every name and team name.
- Pro leader- Create your own player, Play/simulate each race. Complete set goals in order to progress.
- Challenge- Solo/Duo (Splitscreen). Set best times and earn medals.
- Pro team- Solo/Duo (Splitscreen) Default/custom teams with four difficulties then you create a team, Pick jerseys, Buy/sell riders etc. Basically the full sim mode.
- Online leader boards which can be filtered down to friends only, race location etc.
- Full commentary through each event and sometimes they give you tips on whats ahead or behind you.
- HUD is clear with your need to watch bars right up in your face. Yellow bar is your stamina and will go down as you cycle. You can refill it by using particular items or by holding back on your pedaling. Red bar depletes as you use the attack button, Again can be restored with items. You also get a percentage bar for telling you how steep a hill is.
- Race- Earn EXP to unlock new races/tours/classics and my tour.
- Autosaves regularly.
- Wind effects you on corners and hills and can drain your stamina more as you ride into the wind.
- You pick two feed items before the race and each one has pros and cons on what they do.
- Feed stops located through the stages will give you your second item you chose at the beginning.
- Controller layout is on the loading screens.
- Can save mid race and at any point really. You have a handful of save slots for each of the different modes.
- You can give commands to your team mates, Bring up the menu and select a rider, then a whole circle of options will come up. Get your team to push up, back off, block riders for you, and just about anything else you can think of.
- You can swap between riders in your team at any point in the race which is really handy. Before swapping you will get shown a map showing rider positions.
- You can fast forward races and in theory “sim” the game and you can stop it at any point and carry on.
- No real hit detection and you can drive through other riders wheels with no worry at all.
- Just tapping a wall or rider will slow you down significantly.
- No online play.
- Not super helpful top new players.
- Handling feels very stiff.
- Gameplay is really slow even with the fast-forward button.
- The tutorial is actually difficult.
- Team commands menu is really intrusive and fills your screen with command boxes. Keeping an eye on the race and trying to read every command is nigh on impossible.
- Little variety.
- The commentary is very sporadic and after a while will just repeat things.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 6/106/10
- Accessability - 6/106/10
- Length - 6/106/10
- Fun Factor - 6/106/10
Fantastic looking game but to make a game all about bike riding is always going to be a big ask. They manage to make it look the part but man oh man is it just slow and boring. I can see die-hard fans loving it but to anyone else, it is all very alien. You have no knowledge or respect for any of the teams or riders is lost, The handling is not the strongest part of the game either and to be honest it should be the strongest. In short only die-hard vets will get anything substantial from this game.