Review: Venture Towns (Nintendo Switch)
Stores, houses, mansions–towers! The sky’s the limit as you fashion your humble burg into the world’s most powerful fiscal force! Place compatible structures near each other to craft specialty districts or “combos,” adding flavor to your town while reaping big bonuses and boosting Land Price.
- Cutesy pixel graphics.
- 179MB Download size.
- Tutorial pop-ups throughout.
- City builder/worker management gameplay.
- Five cities to choose from- Sunny, River, Caldera, Jungle and cycle.
- One save slot and one autosave slot.
- Full touchscreen support.
- Can name your conglomerate.
- Residents are customizable with the ability to change names/IQ/work/stats and choose from 7 different skin types.
- Options- Priorise= Graphics or performance.
- Speed= Fast/normal and currency= Yen/Dollars.
- Dedicated quick access save button.
- Camera- Can zoom in, Pinch the screen and rotate.
- Constant feedback from residents via speech/thought bubbles.
- Info screens with multiple breakdown options.
- Residents can be leveled up and increase their stats.
- Research new buildings and items that you unlock from leveling up residents.
- Everything can be tapped on.
- The game pauses when in the menu.
- Cutesy animations.
- Gets going very quickly.
- Land price ranking that you can increase for more rewards.
- Constant feel of progress and back patting.
- Can click and follow residents.
- Minimal yet clear UI.
- Can sell resources and buy research points.
- Seasons feature in the game and change the look and feel.
- Very addictive.
- Can send residents on tasks/holidays etc.
- Looks like a mobile game.
- Cannot rotate buildings to place 360 degrees.
- A lot of pop-ups.
- Doesn’t explain everything.
- The text doesn’t line up properly and looks a bit untidy.
- Easy to lose track of time.
- Feel overwhelmed.
- Not everything can actually be actioned with the touchscreen.
- Can get difficult quickly.
- Awkward to do the mass building.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 6/106/10
- Accessability - 7/107/10
- Length - 9/109/10
- Fun Factor - 7/107/10
Venture Towns looks the part and to be honest, It plays the part well. If managing an ever growing amount of people in a world you create and continue to create then you have yourself the full package here. Venture Towns is very easy to get into, It eases you in slowly with pop-ups and feedback, That doesn’t last very long and soon you have constant pop-ups and menus to manage then the residents then the building then the land price and then the money. Its a lot of plate spinning that is well contained for the most part but can easily overwhelm you. Taking any sort of extended break will render you lost upon returning. In short, it is a fine game if it is your bag otherwise it can be a great start to the genre but be prepared for pop up bombardment!