Review: Vertical Drop Heroes HD (Nintendo Switch)
Vertical Drop Heroes is a procedural platformer RPG hybrid with roguelike elements, where your hero adventures through randomly generated stages. Armed with a variety of skills and traits, you must use your cunning and reflexes to survive the dangers of each stage.
- Chunky cartoon graphics.
- 189MB Download size.
- Splitscreen support.
- Auto attack on/off.
- Slight tutorial.
- Roguelike gameplay.
- You make your way down a randomized vertical level.
- Coins- Collect in the game and drop from enemies, Use them to buy unlocks and teleports. You keep coins upon death.
- Hub- Here you can upgrade health bars, Increase weapon strength, Teleport shortcut, Learn about your abilities.
- Every life you get to pick from 3 randomized characters or pay with coins for a re-roll. Each character has unique abilities and stats.
- Save and exit option.
- Keys- Found in the level and used to free random heroes who help you, Or you can skip the final fight and pay 5 keys.
- Gems- Give EXP and coins.
- Earn EXP and level up to get HP refill.
- Tons of replayability.
- Boss fights at the end of every level.
- Unlock new weapons and get bonus loot by doing optional side missions within the game, Example could be find dogs or flowers and return them.
- Abilities- Limited uses but can be restocked. Adds abilities like arrows, Daggers, High jump, Spawn clones etc.
- Instant loading times.
- Warp in levels that send you back to the start of the level.
- Simple yet effective gameplay.
- No touchscreen support.
- Some small text.
- RNG dependant.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessability - 9/109/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
Having played this game for many months on other consoles, Having Vertical Heroes on Nintendo Switch is a must own title. It suits the portability of the system, maintains all the addictive nature of the game and even builds upon it with a split screen mode. The reason for so much love for Vertical Heroes is that the game is easy to pick up and play, Has so much replayability and above all is fun to play. As you get better and better you start to unlock some cool extra stuff that I won’t spoil, Even before that you get the satisfaction of beating your personal best, Explore the many many level layouts. Not a lot really needs to be said, The game is solid, The game is fun and the game needs to be downloaded.