Review: Vortex Attack EX (Steam)
Galaxy is in danger with hostile ships swarming from the opening vortex. Blast enemies with a huge variety of upgradeable ships. Frantic arcade shooter featuring world leaderboards and fun multiplayer mode will keep you playing until all ships are unlocked; galaxies saved.
- Nice graphics.
- 109mb download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Controller support.
- Shmup gameplay.
- Graphics-fulls reen, visual filter, scan lines, high detail, screen shake, and HW80s.
- How to play video.
- Leaderboards-online and offline.
- Game stats.
- Two dimensions–Metal (normal) and Neon (arcade).
- Choose any unlocked visual filter before play.
- 1-3 local co-op support.
- 10 ships to unlock and each has unique stats.
- End of level score breakdown.
- Clear unlock notifications.
- Motherships-big boss battles.
- Actions-shoot and bomb.
- Gameplay-shoot enemies and collect white shards which destroy the vortex.
- Combo counter.
- Can shoot projectiles.
- Has a Geometry Wars/Space Invaders vibe.
- Short level playtime.
- Stuck in a weird how to play loop at times as the game doesn’t register me watching the unskippable video.
- Delayed menu presses.
- Music really doesn’t fit the gameplay.
- Small play area.
- All bosses feel the same.
- Levels get very repetitive and use the same loops and layouts a lot.
- Hard to see power-ups and text.
- No skill required.
- Possible to just farm scores by not collecting shards.
- Enemies fade in and out.
- Can’t tell what power-ups are or do until you use them.
- Little replay value.
- Plain looking enemies.
- Countdown on the ship selection screen for no reason.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 6/106/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 7/107/10
Looking at screenshots of the game you are forgiven for a thing that Vortex Attack EX is a Geometry Wars/Centipede looking experience. It really isn’t and is actually just Centipede but with tedious enemy spawns and uninspiring power-ups. I managed to go through the whole game with no stress or troublesome parts. You unlock ships as you go but again they make such little impact that I never changed much. I wanted the game to be more but it’s just a middling experience with more annoying parts than fun parts and the boss fights highlight that perfectly. Overall I played it, didn’t hate or enjoy it, it’s just OK.