Review: Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf (Nintendo Switch)
Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf is a turn-based tactical strategy in which you have to take command of the Space Wolves and join the battle against the wicked servants of Chaos and the sinister Necrons.
- Decent graphics.
- 4.1gb download size.
- Opening tutorial fight.
- Turn-based strategy gameplay.
- Campaign-four acts with a handful of levels in each.
- Effort points-earned and used to play cards.
- Cards-each one houses an action like a gun, sword or health, etc.
- Golden skulls-earn from completing missions and they are used to level up.
- Collection mode-deck builder.
- Forge-craft/break cards.
- Armory-armour upgrade trees.
- Includes all previously released DLC.
- Squad-upgrade trees for each individual team member and you do team management here.
- Challenges-collection of optional rotating tasks.
- Local co-op support.
- Camera control-spin and zoom in and out.
- Missions-main and secondary objectives.
- Pre mission setup for loadout and type.
- At the end of your movement phase, you choose which way you face.
- See damage numbers.
- 3 story difficulties.
- Can see turn orders.
- Overall grid-on/off.
- Missions can change as you play them.
- No touchscreen support.
- Clunky controls.
- Not the best loading times.
- Small text in places.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 7/107/10
- Fun Factor - 7/107/10
Space Wolves is one of those strategy games that nail the subject matter and does justice to the Warhammer 40K universe, as a strategy game it is fun but it gets let down by so many little issues. The game overall is very slow-paced, a simple mission can take way too long. Controls are so clunky and cumbersome it just slows it all down once again, touch controls would have fixed this and made it all a lot smoother. Those issues aside I still found it a good game and I like the card battler aspect to combat, I just wish it really was a bit faster and immediate. Again I love how the level up and earning card packs is a satisfying feeling opening up packs. Space Wolves is a game that is not just for Warhammer 40K fans and is instead a strong strategy game that any fans of the genre will enjoy. The graphics are fantastic as are the battlegrounds you fight on. Give it a try it might surprise you.