Review: Wartile (PlayStation 4)
Wartile is a cool-down based strategy game in which you control a Warband of Viking figurines in a miniature universe inspired by Norse mythology. Unravel its secrets and rein the powers of the gods.
- Decent graphics.
- 7.48gb download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Invert axis and sensitivity slider.
- Tutorial video pop-ups.
- Boardgame presentation.
- Voice over to narrate.
- Two difficulties-casual and normal.
- Plays out on a hexagonal board.
- Beautiful locations.
- Full camera control with zoom in and out function.
- Loot can be found in chests.
- Main hub-presented like a tabletop with section for-merchant/tavern/figurines/map.
- Combat is autoplay cards for abilities/slowdown/items.
- Hire new characters.
- Relics-heal and revive members.
- Decent story.
- Buy/sell loot.
- Customize characters and load out.
- Replay story missions.
- Earn EXP and level up party members.
- Before a mission pick your team.
- Excellent production values.
- Move players individually or together.
- Fun to play.
- Long initial load.
- You can sell equipped items with no warning.
- Difficulty spikes.
- The camera is not ideal when in tight spaces or when you are in a big fight.
- Graphics - 9/109/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 9/109/10
Wartile is a fantastic game that combines strategy, strong storytelling, and board games. Every level is a set-piece diorama that you interact with by moving around and fighting enemies. Levels have hidden Caves and routes and encourage exploration. Combat is very simple to learn and play again it’s not groundbreaking but it works and works well. For me it’s the whole presentation that had me in the first place, it looks fantastic and the fact that it backs it up with solid fun gameplay is just the icing on the cake. The narrative is well executed and adds a lot to the atmosphere, I wish the backdrops had more to them as the levels look a bit out of place in a blank room but it’s a minor niggle. Overall if you want a boardgame fix this game is for you, you want a beautiful looking game then this is for you and if you want a solid RPG then this is for you, just a fantastic piece of gaming.